• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What time do you put buns to bed?

Sue&Sooty

Wise Old Thumper
What time do you tuck your buns up for the night?

All through the Summer my lot were having their supper around 10pm and then I would shut the hutch door and put them to bed for the night.

Now it just doesn't feel right leaving them so late as it's dark so early so I have gradually moved suppertime foward to around 7.30/8pm and shut the hutch door etc and cover them up at the same time.

Then I feel bad about leaving them covered up for so long :? At the moment they are covered but clear bubble wrap but it won't be much longer and it will be something much thicker so therefore darker inside for them (even though I know rabbits live in dark burrows in the wild it still doesn't stop me feeling mean for doing it)

I have guinea pigs but i don't think it matters.

I would out them to bed,in summer, at around 10pm if that.Or i would just check and see if they were ok,if they were i would leave them to get on with everything on their own.

In winter they come inside the house and i put them to bed around six.I may pop to see them around 9 and see if they are ok.Then they are left to themselves.

I know what you mean. In Summer we put ours to bed about 10pm as well but it's gradually got earlier as the nights have drawn in. Now they have dinner about 7.30pm. You can't see if there are any foxes or anything around to frighten them so i don't think it's worth the risk of leaving them out later. Now we have the bunnyshed they are free inside and we just close the door.

mine are indoor buns so go to bed whenever i go to bed last night it was fairly early because i was knackered but on average about 10:30 (i quite often go and shut the window earlier so they dont get too cold)

i used to feed them at 10.00 but i feed them at 7/8.00 then i go back out at 10ish give them their veg a quick run around the garden and then cover them up.

Thanks :thumb: I don't feel so bad about putting them to bed so early now! :D I just figured that if they got covered up early the cold air might not get in so much and their hutch would stay nice and warm

I put mine to bed at about 9pm or 10pm but I tend to shut Princess' shed door when I get in from work + pull Amy's clear cover down to stop it getting so blooming cold in there!

My two indoor buns go to bed when I go which is about 10pm, later at the weekends but then they come downstairs and let me know by nudging me that they want tucking up .... with their bowl of excel forage :D

mine get the veg at 6.30 then they go to bed with their pellets at 9 in the summer they was staying out till 10

My babies all go to bed at 7.30pm - 8pm. Keep it the same all year around. No confusion caused to them and they are kept in a routine.

I close up the sheds about 5pm at this time of year, I don't want to have the sheds open when its dark and cold. They have free run inside the sheds so I don't feel too mean, but I do wish I could let them stay out later, but I think better safe than sorry....they are opened up at about 6/7am though. I think you have to bear in mind that in nature they would be out and about less at this time of year anyway.

OUrs go to bed about 10.30 (outdoors but on patio which is lit) They are back out by 7 am..tends to be later at weekends...or if we are watching/doing something and forget.

They get their evening feed when I get in from work..so around 6..and then get to play for a bit longer.

Tend to find Coco and Robbie are ready for bed..casper and Jessie still want to play!

Whenever I do. Usually feed them at about 9pm and then go get ready to bed and come back down, have a cuddle and chat and then lights out at about 10.30pm. Always feel bad though as Jack stands there looking at me like "stay and play.....NOOOO don't turn the light off..". Mine you he does that anytime anyone leaves the room!!

They come out of the hutch/run at 4 and run round the house andd garden til it gets nearing dark then its the house... then they go back in their hutch til 8, come back in the house til 9 and then its beddy byes time for them and then I go to bed.

I know its horrible now the weather has changed. I used to get up at seven and let them run around the garden until I leave for work at nine. Then they would go in the run until I got home and come back out until late. Now by the time I get home its too dark to let them run free safely. Luckily I only work three days a week so can still give them free run when I'm home unless its raining. Roll on spring time!!! Pam

Back