• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

REHOMING ADVICE - NOT HAPPY

tmak

Warren Scout
Hi, Sorry for the long post but I really need opinions. As some of you might know I'm planning on rehoming a rabbit for company for Zoe.

I've found a rabbit in the local rescue and I've had some conflicting advice. When I went there in person and picked the bunny I asked if they would take him back if the bonding didn't work out and they said yes.

I just had a phonecall and a woman asked a few questions, then when I said that Zoe wasn't spayed they weren't keen on rehoming him and asked if I'd be prepared to have her spayed. When I said no, because I don't think it's necessary given her age and the fact that she has no behavioural problems and has had 3 litters, she asked if it would be better for me to keep her as a single bun until the inevitable happens then just get a pair, she was nice but it wasn't the response I was expecting.

All I want is company for Zoe and I explained that it could work out as he's been neutered and I understand it's going to take time, but would they take him back if they really couldn't get on.

Basically I've had to agree to keeping him as a single bunny if they didn't get on, which is not really what I want, but they said they don't like taking them back once they've been rehomed.

I suggested that I take Zoe there first to see how they get on so that if they go for the kill I won't take him home. She asked when I could bring her and I had to say to her that they couldn't come into contact until he'd been neutered for 6 six weeks and it's only been 2.

One of the volunteers there when I called in last week asked me if I'd prefer to get a guinea pig for her - which as we all know conflicts with the official RSPCA website, and they work together with the RSPCA.

Should I just leave it there and keep her as a single bun or should I take the risk and rehome the other rabbit anyway?

Can you try another rescue? This one sounds questionable. Our unneutured female lived with a neutured male for four months without any problems.

Hi, unfortunately there aren't many around where I live but I have serious doubts about this working out with them.

Not very helpfull are they :( , i carnt see theres a problem at all. Seems to me there trying to make it difficult for people. There is a risk if you cannot test them out with eachother. And of course taking a boy to a girl is always harder. Best of luck. val

You could always apply to a rescue further afield..a bunny run could be arranged ..you may get more help and most will take a bun back, when they have room..if it doesn't work out..althought the doantion given is usually non refundable...
.....(I have lots if neutered males looking for a home..cough cough! :lol: )

LOL thanks - I'm just worried that I'll have 2 single bunnies to look after when the whole point is getting company for her, and she has a huge run now and if I have to separate them they'll be single in half the space!

Back