• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch Advice Please

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
I bought this hutch last April when I first got my bunny.

http://ukpetsonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=307

I thought at the time it was large. But since being on this forum I have discovered that most of you would see a 4ft hutch quite small. I dont want to be a nasty bunny owner and since being a member on here have altered the hutch at the side to attach a rabbit run which is 4 x 3 so Pickle can go in and out as he likes during the day.

I am also limited for space in my garden as the hutch is quite near the house (which I like) but it is on a pathway which is quite thin and narrow. I wonder if any of you experienced bunny owners could advise me what I could do.

I am considering buying another hutch and joining the two hutches together or via a run etc. What do you think? Any suggestions?

Is it the double decker 4ft hutch you have?

If so, I think that should be ok! Especially as you have the run attached.

I think the 4ft hutches that people don't like are the single level ones - at least with a double decker you have almost double the floorspace! :)

I would not worry too much my lovely. :) 4ft single storey hutch is a NO! NO!, but you have a double storey, so double the space which is super AND you have a run attched which is Fab!! And you are NOT a nasty bunny owner!!

m
xx

mit said:
I would not worry too much my lovely. :) 4ft single storey hutch is a NO! NO!, but you have a double storey, so double the space which is super AND you have a run attched which is Fab!! And you are NOT a nasty bunny owner!!

m
xx

I agree, don't beat yourself up, a larger hutch would have been better maybe but your hutch is more than adequate and has a run attached, he sounds like he has a lovely owner :D

It's really down to setup rather than specific sizes, you have to consider the ground area a bun has access to and how much of the day they have access. For example some people have large enclosures for their rabbit and then just a small hutch inside it for shelter. Some people might have a giant 8' hutch but no run. With access to a run 24/7 I think that space should be included in the total.

I think sometimes the hutch sizes become to much of a hard n' fast rule when alot of bunnies given the option only sleep in them and spend the day in the run anyway :lol:

Well it is the 4' double storey one although I hardly ever see him go upstairs :roll: and he is allowed in the run from 8am until dark each day. I was planning on getting him a girlfriend so was thinking the hutch might not be big enough for two bunnies :?

I have to agree with Tamsin, I have hutch and run combinations and my rabbits hardly spend any time in the hutches, and when they do they always sit in the same place and normally go into their runs to actually "run about". With Dolly I pretty much only see her in there when she's eating (coz that's where I put the food!).

fluffiebunnie said:
Well it is the 4' double storey one although I hardly ever see him go upstairs :roll: and he is allowed in the run from 8am until dark each day. I was planning on getting him a girlfriend so was thinking the hutch might not be big enough for two bunnies :?

I think that would depend on the size of the bunnies, is Pickle small, medium or large sized? You can get a girlfriend a similar or slightly smaller size. Could you attach a bigger run for them and use the other one, eg on grass?? It would be a shame to waste this hutch.

Of course, you could always buy a bigger hutch and run for Pickle and Mrs Pickle and adopt two more dwarfsized buns for this hutch :lol:

Just looked at his picture, (he's beautiful), he looks like a lionhead which is a small breed so as long as Mrs Pickle is small as well I'd say the hutch and run is fine and as I said you could always make a bigger run :D

Yes I think he is a lionhead - has lots of fluff around his face lol!!

Think I have decided to keep the hutch and run as it is at the moment and try and attach another run or extend his run he currently has. Especially if there are two Pickles :lol:

hutch size

Your hutch sounds fine along as you have a run but if you want to make it bigger you could always do what I did.

I had a 5ft hutch and a 4ft hutch and when I bonded my two rabbits, I joined the hutches together by cutting a round hole in one side of each hutch and then putting a pipe through to join the hutches up, so now they have 9ft of space. They still go out in the garden during the day but if the weather is bad it doesn't matter quite so much if they have to stay in for longer than usual. I got the pipe from a plumbers merchants (luckily I have a friend who works for one) and my husband cut the holes for me as I am VERY accident prone and wouldn't trust myself with a saw !

Re: hutch size

krista said:
Your hutch sounds fine along as you have a run but if you want to make it bigger you could always do what I did.

I had a 5ft hutch and a 4ft hutch and when I bonded my two rabbits, I joined the hutches together by cutting a round hole in one side of each hutch and then putting a pipe through to join the hutches up, so now they have 9ft of space. They still go out in the garden during the day but if the weather is bad it doesn't matter quite so much if they have to stay in for longer than usual. I got the pipe from a plumbers merchants (luckily I have a friend who works for one) and my husband cut the holes for me as I am VERY accident prone and wouldn't trust myself with a saw !

Thanks for the tip - do you have any pictures? Close ups? lol!!

krista said:

Could you post a couple of pics of how you did that, from the outside and inside as i have two hutchs which i will be joining up soon and need ideas!! :D :D

m
xx

mit said:
krista said:

Could you post a couple of pics of how you did that, from the outside and inside as i have two hutchs which i will be joining up soon and need ideas!! :D :D

m
xx

oo that's exciting news mit, is Stud going to be destudded?? :D Hope the bonding goes well

kayjay said:
mit said:
krista said:

m
xx

oo that's exciting news mit, is Stud going to be destudded?? :D Hope the bonding goes well

He might be sooner than i though, if the Jet and Shadow dont except Missy back ill have to put her in with Stud. Shes inside at the moment after her eye operation.

m
xx

Back