• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i thought 3ft was bad!

cheekytikki

Wise Old Thumper
but OMG you can actually buy a 30 INCH hutch!!! :shock:

tha annoying thing is the same place sells and absolutely gorgeous double 6 foot hutch

and a lovely triple 5 foot hutch

grrrr @ 30" (they also sell 3ft) (but i :love: the triple 5' and the double 6')

[admin edit - links removed]

4 month old bunny, ruby she is an orange mini rex.... eats well....quiet tame.... with 2 .1/2ft hutch.... pics on request.... thank you (based in richmond upon thames)

£20

It can get smaller than 3 ft, yep. :roll:

Those 5 and 6 ft hutches look a bit low to me. Might be ok for lops, but upright ears would hit the ceiling.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
that is terrible. that site also has over 30 rabbits of various breeds for sale (although at least looking at the pics all their rabbits look well cared for and happy)

Someone on my freecycle was advertising a 2ft hutch.

I would liked to have taken it so none used it, but couldnt.

[admin edit - name removed] is were i got my four buns from. you runs the place with the help of the hubby is Great! She really helped me out with setting everything up with me with the things i need and giving me loads of great advice. She IS a breeder and most buns are in breeding size hutchs. In two sheds. Mothers with kits in large hutchs. She loves all her buns and does really care form them. All the buns were are in great health. Even though she her self keeps buns in breeding hutch, she never once adviced me to keep them in a small hutch, always a 4ft double or a 6ft-er. There site has not me updated in a while so its best to give her a call, not sure if they still do sell hutch though.

m
xx

but what about the mums and dads kept in tiny breeder hutches all their lives- only swapped to a bigger one when they have litters? :( :x

Well what can we do. Shes a breeder at the end of the day. I know they are not kept in massive hutchs, but they are well cared for and loved. Much, much better than a lot of breeders here in the UK. At least she gives out the correct advice and sell very good sized hutchs. Shes also gives extra support after the purchase to a rabbit.

m
xx

Nix said:
mit said:
Well what can we do.

Ummm.... How about not buying from breeders?

I guess so. But the main point i was trying to make it that we have Bad Breeders as we all very well know to dont really care about the rabbits, just thier pockets and then we have Good Breeders, ie Mel from London Lops. Who DO care about the rabbits welfare, sometimes i feel that some people have to cut a little scalk for the Good Breeders. EVERY rabbit there was in excellent health. There was even two runs outside, with buns in. They all get some exerise too.

m
xx

Amsy1991 said:
Is one that small ok for guinea pigs.I'm not sure how big mine is.

I wouldn't put guinea pigs in one that small, a 4 ft one would be the minimum I'd consider, unless you have a permanent large run attached, piggies do like to run around don't they

i have two 30 inch hutches...................in the corner of the garage where they've been for a couple of years :roll: :lol:

i use them in emergancies for guinea-pigs if i'm chock-a-block

i also open the doors and use them as shelters in the runs, somewhere for the rabbits/guineas to sit when it rains

Admin Note - If you want to discuss hutch sizes etc. that's fine but can you please be careful not to single out companies/individuals.

Thanks,
Tam

sorry didnt mean to single anyone out :oops: was just saying i didnt realise that you could get hutches smaller than 3ft
sorry again for any problems caused

Tamsin said:
Admin Note - If you want to discuss hutch sizes etc. that's fine but can you please be careful not to single out companies/individuals.

Thanks,
Tam

I'm not trying to be awkward but what happened to freedom of speech? Surely if a company is making hutches they should be aware that some people will think they're great and some not. If all animal welfare organisations suggest that 30 inch hutch and below are too small then why can't we discuss it? I can understand if someone is openly criticising an individual but what is the difference between this discussion and the ones that have taken place regarding P@H?

Just a bit confused Tamsin over what we are and aren't allowed to discuss in a 'public' forum. I've read your notice and do have some awareness of what this was about but surely if we're not allowed to discuss hutch sizes produced by a company then we're not going to be allowed to discuss very much :? And if we're not allowed to say 'this hutch is rubbish, don't buy it' why should we be allowed to recommend another? If you look on other sites such as Amazon, people are allowed to say whether they think a product is any good or not

mit said:
Well what can we do. Shes a breeder at the end of the day. I know they are not kept in massive hutchs, but they are well cared for and loved. Much, much better than a lot of breeders here in the UK. At least she gives out the correct advice and sell very good sized hutchs. Shes also gives extra support after the purchase to a rabbit.

m
xx
To be a good breeder rabbits accomadation also needs alot of thought
My claude was from a breeder all her rabbits are kept in 6ft + hutches
They get to go out for a run everyday
She doesnt take on lots of rabbits to give them more space which is only fair on the rabbits
keeping rabbits in small hutches for the whole of there lifes is cruel :?

I do agree with Mit, I've been to a breeder of French Lops up here in Lancs and she was lovely, her set up was fantastic and her hutches HUGE (all of them not just for does and babies) and all buns come out daily for exercise. There are very different sorts of breeders and it's perhaps dangerous to lump them all in together. However of course in the end they are all adding to the overpopulation problem :(

I know Mit has seen some truly terrible breeders, so perhaps others seems ok in comparison, but to keep them in tiny breeder hutches all their lives in awful :(

Back