• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do your buns prefer low ceilinged spaces?

Jeremy

Wise Old Thumper
We have always provided cardboard boxes for all the buns to hide in and chew, which they enjoy greatly.

However, it occured to me the other day they still seem to prefer lying places where there is something very close overhead. For instance, Elroy loves lying under the bed, and both he and Honey will go to great lengths to get inside the old louge chair (we kept blocking it off, but they always found a way inside :roll: :lol:).

I have taken to cutting at least one box down to about a foot in height, and they do seem to prefer this for hiding / sleeping in than the others. I am presuming this is because it more accurately simulates a natural burrow.

The other boxes tend to get used when they are more active for chewing etc.

Has anyone else noticed this or am I imagining things? :)

I have noticed it too, Archie and Smokie love sitting under the bed, and also under tables, clothes horses - anything which has something overhead. I think they must feel a bit more secure rather than in the open, might be a survival instinct!!

Gus loves to sleep under the sofa bed in his room and Bracken & Frida manage to squeeze under the coffee table in the living room which is really low - i think it is about their instincts

Lola cant get under a lot of things but she always snoozes under the unit in the living room if she's downstairs

Sounds sensible to me. Small and preferably with two exits means safe to a rabbit. I think having a space like that, even if they don't use it much, makes a rabbit feel more secure as they know it's there if they need it :)

Tam

Squidgy's favourite spot is under a chair which has a throw over it - like a little den for him.
The outside bunnies all like sitting on top of their hutches, which are inside their enclosures and thus low-ceilinged.
I'd ever really thought about it before, just thought they liked being able to see out, but it's cosy for them, and also has more than one exit (usually a giant leap from wherever they happen to be sitting :shock: ). Maybe they're more intelligent than I gave them credit for :D

teegs and duchess like to hide under their raised sandbox i just assumed they liked the dark but i suppose it could be because it is low and feels safe, they also like it in the carrier, i bought them a cat bed tunnel (which is like a faux fur sack with open entrance) but they dont actually go in it just sllep on it and pee on it :roll:

My Giants ( a french Lop X & a NZ White) have a two tier hutch in their room. It was all shut up & not in use - I've used it previously for free ad buns, & i came home one day & found them both in it (The must have opened the catch). They are now in it loads (Always open) - but it's only 4ft 6" & really low!!!

Tamsin said:
Small and preferably with two exits means safe to a rabbit.
Yes, you're right about the two exits. I normally only cut one door in the box, and the first thing they do with a new one is chew a second door.

Back