• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do i need a thermal cover?

Monkey

Warren Veteran
I've seen these thermal covers for bunny hutches for winter and was wondering if i need one? I have two bunnies living together in there so will they keep eachother warm?

I personally don't bother. Mine live in secure enclosures with hutches inside them, and I;ve gone to great lengths to make sure they're warm. Lots of straw in the hutches, cardboard boxes full of hay to snuggle into. Where do they sleep? On top of the hutches :shock: :roll: Again, tried to make it cosy up there for them, and they chuck all the bedding off!
Conclusion - they're not cold and snuggle up to each other. :D

My hutches are covered with the Scratch and Newton hutchhuggers but I considered the thermal inner cover to be too expensive. I therefore made my own :roll: using a roll of shiny bubble wrap (from B & Q) and special tape to make my own.... did not have 1 frozen bowl last winter and it came to £27, enough for 2 x 5 foot hutches if I recall :thumb:

Of course I put loads of hay and straw in the hutches as well but I am confident by DIY job did the job :D

HS said:
I personally don't bother. Mine live in secure enclosures with hutches inside them, and I;ve gone to great lengths to make sure they're warm. Lots of straw in the hutches, cardboard boxes full of hay to snuggle into. Where do they sleep? On top of the hutches :shock: :roll: Again, tried to make it cosy up there for them, and they chuck all the bedding off!
Conclusion - they're not cold and snuggle up to each other. :D

They tend to sleep on the upstairs of their hutch staring outside, i try and give them loads of hay and straw but they either eat it or stuff it into a corner. Usually if i cover them up they stamp their little feet!

I also have one of the Scratch and Newton waterproof covers, but not the thermal layer. I made something similar using camping mats (ie. the mats that go on the ground under your sleeping bag) - they are really good insulators :D

Back