• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Third rabbit...maybe fourth??

Charliesangel

Warren Veteran
Ok, I've been putting off posting this thread for a few days, because I'm just so confused :( I've literally typed this thing up and deleted it at least 5 times :roll: So...I'm just going to say what I have to say and hope that you guys can give me some advice :D

As you guys know, last tuesday (a week today :cry:) I lost my dear Daisy bun. For the first few days I didn't even want to think about another rabbit, I convinced myself that it would be too much work, and more stress that I didn't need. I was happy with my two boys and thats all that mattered :D Plus, I was sure that my parents wouldn't allow it!

Then, my mom came up to me when I was on the computer and said, "So, you're not looking for a new bun yet are you?" and then she smiled :D It sounded almost as if she said that it was ok if I was looking for another bun!!

After that little 'chat' with my mom, I was (and still am) SO confused!!! I know that my boys really should have girlfriends, but I really dont know if I could handle it!!

I battled myself for a few more days until my curiousity got the good of me, and I started just 'looking' at a few rescues online. I kept telling myself that I was just 'looking', and that it could do no harm. But that is until I came across these two girls:

Lena:
Lena.jpg

Calista:
Calista.jpg

These two gorgeous girls are mother and daughter :D They are both spayed and ready for a new home, and they are very local :D Just about a 45 minute drive :D :D :D

Now what should I do? After seeing these girls, I can't just leave them there!! But I also dont know if I could handle 2 more rabbits, or if my parents would allow me 2 more :shock:

I think I should just wait a while, see how I feel, but...

I'M SO CONFUSED!!! Should I stay with my two boys, or gain two girls?

Sorry for the rant, but if you guys have any ideas let me know!! :(

Leah xx

So sorry about your Daisy bun - binky free little one.x
Do your two boys live together? If they don't then getting them a playmate sounds like a good idea, if they do then you could always wait and see how you feel in a while? Or bond your two boys then get a couple of girls in the future and have a group of four! The possabilities are endless!! Sorry, not helping on the confused front much but I don't think you should rush into adding to your bunny numbers until you are sure.x

Oh I understand, and I wouldn't be adding any buns for a while. But after losing an animal, the first thing I always think of is, will I be getting another? I am always thinking about the future and a new adventure in life! I know that sounds horrible but thats how I move on... :?

As for my boys, no they are not bonded. Actually, Blaise hates Oliver! Blaise has never been alone before and I can really tell that he is missing Daisy, and Oliver has always been on his own but I can also tell that is is longing for a girlfriend of his own :D
And then I went really crazy thinking that maybe, just maybe, if they both have girlfriends, I would be able to make them a group of 4 and they would all get along!!

Sometimes I think my brain needs an off button :shock: :roll:

Leah xx

Ruby came home with us a week after Nougat died, purely because Bobby has never been on his own and looked so downcast and lost in his big run.
I would say talk it through with your parents, and see what they say. I think you would be very happy to have two new bunnies, and two lovely bonded couples. You obviously have a lot of love to give.

Blaise is my main concern :( He looks so sad and upset since he has lost Daisy, even though it has only been a week.
Plus Oliver LOVES other rabbits, but has never had a girlfriend. I can not devote me entire day to being with him, so thats why I think he deserves a girly.

Leah xx

Charliesangel said:
Blaise is my main concern :( He looks so sad and upset since he has lost Daisy, even though it has only been a week.
Plus Oliver LOVES other rabbits, but has never had a girlfriend. I can not devote me entire day to being with him, so thats why I think he deserves a girly.

Leah xx

Aww Leah, It's a bit of a tricky one isn't it. Whatever you do, your boys are so lucky to have you :) I personally wouldnt/couldnt get another bun so soon, as you know it's taken until now to be able to go to the rescue and home Boo ... and I still couldnt bring myself to have a boy. But >> having said that, People work differently, and the only person who can decide is YOU! Nobody will judge you or think anything differently of you .. so do what you think will make you and the bunnies happy girl :D X

Difficult isn't it! I'm like Leah, whenever I lose an animal, I want to get another more or less straight away. It's not that they are a 'replacement', it's more that I have the love to give another animal and feel that there is a hole unfilled without them :cry:

What exactly are you worried you won't be able to cope with? If you got your boys a girlfriend each, to be honest I wouldn't expect it to be much more work than having two boys alone - same number of food bowls, water bottles, cleaning out etc. In some ways it can be easier, because they have each other for company so don't necessarily 'need' you to be there as much. Obviously you can if you want to, but there's no need to feel guilty if you don't have time to spend with them as much, because they have each other.

If you can afford it, and think you can cope with the extras like keeping an eye on more buns, then I'd say go for it :wink:

I agree Alison. It's probably easier to have a pair, as they keep each other company. I do try to spend as much time as possible with my pairs, but they're not bothered :shock: :lol: - I'm just a food machine - they're happy with each other.
And those two bunnies are the cutest.... :wink:

Thank you Alison for putting that in perfect words :D Its not that I want to replace Daisy, I just need somebun to fill that little hole in my heart :D I haven't decided yet, and I really am in no rush, I am just a little love-struck by those two :love: :love:

Leah xx

If you and your mum think that you have the time, space and money then go for it, i think your boys will appreciate a girl friend, plus the girlies are to cute for words!!!1

Back