• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do rex's feel the cold more that other breeds?

nicole

Mama Doe
My Mhairi loves to sit on me while I've got the snuggle safe on my lap. I can wrap her in a blanket and she goes off to sleep.
This is no a new thing she has been doing this for a couple of weeks.
And I just wonderd if she was cold.

No idea. Is she an idoor bunny? If she is then maybe she is feeling a chill in the air when doors are open because she still has a summer coat? :?

Zion and Fia are fine outside and they look perfectly fine when I got out there. I would have thought rexes would feel the cold less as they have much denser fur than other bunnies.

I am interested in any responses though

A bit of topic. Got Missy a Snuggle Safe this afternoon from P@H, and she is still indoors from her eye op saturday. I put it in to the cage and she doesnt even want to sit on it. I put her on it twice now and she just wonders off to another part of the cage?? I thought ALL loves a snuggle safe!

m
xx

Enya usualy has cold ears :? she's always the first to the back door in the morning though so i guess she can't be all that cold or she wouldn't want to go out at all.

My two, Humphrey and Rosie (both rexes though humphrey has a more noticable winter coat) normally seem fine with the cold, inf act they generally seem to get to hot most of the time. I have them in for there evening feed and a wander round and they'll generally sit on the stairs or in front of a door where theres a draft to keep cool.

Saying that rosie recently seemed to get ill then recover on being brought inside for a little bit (see the Rosies Not Well post) so I'm not sure if she was cold, she was fine this mroning though. I am a bit worried though because her brother obviously grew his winter coat (patches and all) but Rosie didn't seem to, she had the thicker fur to start with though!

Jem

Im sure I've read that they do suffer more with the cold.

Even tho Audrey and Rowan are house buns I'll give them a snuggle safe on cold nights as we dont have central heating.

mit said:
A bit of topic. Got Missy a Snuggle Safe this afternoon from P@H, and she is still indoors from her eye op saturday. I put it in to the cage and she doesnt even want to sit on it. I put her on it twice now and she just wonders off to another part of the cage?? I thought ALL loves a snuggle safe!

m
xx

Sorry I can't help you with your question about whether rex bunnies feel the cold more than other buns Nicole. I do have some experience of the above though - I brought Jacob a snugglesafe for the winter and no matter how cold it feels outside to me, he never sleeps on it! :lol: Even if I tuck it right under lots of straw he'll ignore it and sleep elsewhere. Recently he's started to look quite disgusted when I turn up with it, as though to say 'I don't need that, I'm not a baby you know!' :lol:

Morrigan1981 said:
mit said:

m
xx

I brought Jacob a snugglesafe for the winter and no matter how cold it feels outside to me, he never sleeps on it! :lol: Even if I tuck it right under lots of straw he'll ignore it and sleep elsewhere. Recently he's started to look quite disgusted when I turn up with it, as though to say 'I don't need that, I'm not a baby you know!' :lol:

Massive Ditto!! :lol:

m
xx

I'd imagine they would feel the cold more because their coats aren't as thick as other breeds, however this is my rexes 5th winter outside and they've never had any problems with it so I wouldn't worry too much! :D

My two seem fine with the cold so far - and their coats are gorgeous at this time of year - so thick and velvety. Plus Piper has gone back to a lovely silky black again instead of his rusty summer look. :lol:

I would have thought rexs would be fine in the cold as their fur is, like Jane said, actually much denser than other rabbits fur.

Back