• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rosies not well

Jem

Young Bun
My poor little girl Rosie's not right. I first noticed it this morning, she came out for her food with her brother but seemed to finish quickly then sit out in her run hunched. Saying that her brother was sat out too but not really hunched. Then today when i got home from work (food time 2) they weren't out to greet me in there run, after a rattle of the food Humphrey her brother popped out but she stayed in. I normally bring them inside for their evening feed so i popped her brother in then got her out of the hutch. No struggle at all! She was a bit floppy and lathargic. I then popped her in and she hopped round OK but immediatly went to lie down on the stairs and ignored her food, i can't even tempt her by hand feeding or carrot, cabbage or sweetcorn. I'm quite worried. Her stomach doesnt seem painful to touch or swollen. I can't see any odd droppings though i'm going to go back and have a proper look.

She's flopped down now but she seems to be struggling to get comfy regulalry getting up and moving somewhere else. I can only think it's either something she ate or shes got something coming on as theres no physical sign of illness i can see and her teeth are fine. She isn't as well groomed as usual today but she's not a mess and her brothers as bright as a button and scoffing well.

Any ideas, do i need to panic and rush her to the vet or should i give it a day and see if she's still bad?

Thanks

Jem

I'm no bunny expert but I would pop her to the vet tonite if she's not eating or pooping :? buns can go downhill REALLY quick and their tums can be of huge problem to them

Yep, I'd agree, best to go tonight as rabbits guts can shut down very quickly if they stop eating.

Vets asap - it's always better to be safe than sorry - gut problems can be so bad and so quick as well - sending lots of vibes to Rosie.

Good news on the Rosie Front,

While i was waiting for replys I noticed her starting to hop about a bit so i decided to see how she got on for an hour or so in the warm. 2 Hours later she started nibbeling some food and chewing cardboard. 3 hours later she'd eaten nearly her full share of food (which humphrey had managed to restrain himself from eating - i think he knew she needed it) and was happily back to chewing everything and throwing hay all over the carpet.

I wonder if it was related to the cold, i can only think she had a bit of a stomach upset and the cold made her react really badly. Her ears were pretty cold when she first came in the house but by the time she was her useual destructive self they were back to being warm again.

She was still fine this morning, bounded out as normal and ate her food so hopefully she'd over it, i'll keep an eye on her for a bit though

Any ideas what it might have been and thanks for the advice last night even though it ended up working out Ok.

Jem

It could have been a little wind, which can somtimes make them feel uncomfortable. I can't give mine brocoli or cauliflower as it sets a Bobby and Salt off.
You did the right thing bringing her in. Often, a little movement can be enough to disperse the gas. I also have Infacol in for this reason. 2ml of Infacol and lots of tummy rubs. You can usually hear and feel the wind moving about.
If bunny's tummy is really hard, or completely flat and feels empty, making no sound, it's going to be a vet job!
http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/gi_stasis_pet.htm is a really good article.
Well done on spotting the problem, glad she's feeling better.

Back