• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

for all those with buns with tearduct problems

JIMGRACIE

Mama Doe
Mayas has on going tear duct problems. He had been near on perfect over the warmer months, but now it has turned chilly, and we are having more wet days, his eyes are yucky. Anyone else see i difference with their buns (with tear duct problems) when the weather changes?

He had his myxi jab last friday, and the vet said he might need to go back on eye drops. Poor little man.

Gracie and animals x

I have had exactly the same problem with Barley, his eye (it is just one eye), has been quite weepy and it started nearly exactly 2 weeks ago. I took him to the vets on Saturday and he currently has eye drops for the week, if he is not better within the week then he has to go back to the vets.

I would also be interested in other peoples experiences as I'm quite worried about Barley's eye as it looks quite nasty at the moment and I imagine that it is sore (although it's not affecting his character or eating at all).

Donut had this. It gradually got worse, and she was having her tear ducts flushed by the vets every couple of weeks.
She had symptoms of pasturella when she was little, so i think its to do with that.

Worsening of an already weepy eye could be a sign of dental problems.

Louie my little BIB has tear duct problems. He’s permanently on Tiacil eye drops every other day, which keep his eye free from infection he just has a small clear discharge. Every now and then he has the duct flushed. He also has a problem molar that needs sorting every 3-4 months, I can usually tell when a dental is needed as his eye gets worse.

Louise

Loki has tear duct problems. If his hay or pellets are too dusty, one eye starts to run. Flushing the ducts helps some, but this summer he had a chronic runny eye that flushing didn't help. The vet didn't think it looked infected at all but prescribed some eye ointment just in case, and it did the trick.

The vet suspects that he may be getting a tooth root problem there, putting pressure on the tear duct and making it clog more frequently.

Maya had his teeth checked (much to his discust) on Friday, when he went for his myxi vaccine. I saw a new vet and i was actually really impressed by her check up before his vaccine. She said there was no sign of teeth problems. I must admit the poor ol' man hasn't had his tear ducts flushed for 5 months, just didn't seem he needed it doing. Maybe its time to book him in again.

Gracie and animals x

My bunny Mabel has constant tear duct problems .... she just seems to come and go with them. Benn vet checked, been flushed etc.

Made double appointment for Tuesday. Bindis going for VHD vaccine, so the vets gonna look at Mayas eyes again.

Gracie and animals x

Back