• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shed heaters...

Veronica

Mama Doe
Well, for the first time in all the years I've kept buns, I'm thinking this year, of installing some sort of heater in the rabbit shed for over winter. Nothing too powerful, but just to keep the temperature above freezing for when the frost sets in.

Does anyone already use heaters? What type? I'm not sure what to look for, but I want something that's safe, and not going to set fire to my summer house :shock: :?

I think some people have used greenhouse heaters.....but I am also thinking of getting a heater, any ideas anyone? :) Is a greenhouse heater even safe as I don't want to set my shed on fire either!lol

nicole said:
How does it work and where abouts in the shed is yours (on floor or on the roof, inside)?

It is a normal plug in heater which I have as low as possible (as heat rises), it uses about the same heat as a couple of 60 watt light bulbs unlike the normal convection heaters or radiators which often use at least 10 times the amount of power. For obvious reasons it does not give out excessive heat to make the shed hot, the aim of it is to take the chill off the shed. I have mine on a plug in thermostat which means that it cuts in when the temperature goes below a certain temperature. You can buy a mesh protector which stops hay falling on to it and also stops the rabbit sitting on the tube itself.

Lorna at Greenfields rescue in Bracknell also uses them in her rabbit cabins, on a couple of occassions I have seen rabbits who have jumped up sitting on the mesh cover which stops them burning themselves.

Hi jrn1310

I'm reading this with interest as I have been looking at getting a heater for my shed. I was looking at getting a panel heater? How big is your shed and what size heater do you use? Thanks

chloaster said:
Hi jrn1310

I'm reading this with interest as I have been looking at getting a heater for my shed. I was looking at getting a panel heater? How big is your shed and what size heater do you use? Thanks

My shed is 9 x 6 and is the piggie shed for the foster piggies I have, they are in hutches inside the shed. I have a 180 watt heater with the appropriate mesh cover from the above company. I find it very efficient when you consider the amount of electricty it uses and is also very compact.

If you want a nice warm shed you need a proper radiator but be prepared for large heating bills, this certainly is very efficient for taking off the chill in the shed and would even be ideal in a house in a small room / porch which has no heating to keep it above freezing.

Hope this helps

Janice

Yeah, thanks for that Janice. The shed I need to heat is 20 x 14 so I'm thinking maybe two of the larger ones would work. Definately cheaper to buy initially than a panel heater so if they're cheaper to run as well - can't be bad!! :D

jrn1310 said:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Heating_Index/Therm_1/index.html this is the thermostat I use to regulate the temperature in the shed, saves having it on when it is not required.

WOW...I never even knew something like that existed!! i have a panel heater in my shed, but of course i dont want the temp to get too hot so something like the plug in thermostat is brilliant.

I will be ordering one tomorrow. Thanks xx :D

Cavyslave said:
jrn1310 said:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Heating_Index/Therm_1/index.html this is the thermostat I use to regulate the temperature in the shed, saves having it on when it is not required.

WOW...I never even knew something like that existed!! i have a panel heater in my shed, but of course i dont want the temp to get too hot so something like the plug in thermostat is brilliant.

I will be ordering one tomorrow. Thanks xx :D

You can set it to go on at a set temperature and off at a set temperature. I think they are invaluable with any type of heater, it will pay for itself very quickly :D

Am i being stupid or am i really in a bad situation as my garage has no plug sockets? :? :shock:

lisey said:
Am i being stupid or am i really in a bad situation as my garage has no plug sockets? :? :shock:

You can get sockets put in if you talk to an electritian, I had a hole drilled through the rear wall of the house and an exterior socket put in the garden.

What would say is recommended temp to try to keep the shed to ??

Got my plug today and not sure what to set it at :?

thanks x

Just wanted to add, that have had the thermo plug now a while and its one of the best things I have ever purchased. Its making keeping the temp even in my shed and no more guess work or me worrying if the temps gone to hot. Its brilliant.

Thanks for the tip. :D

Merry Christmas everyone. :D :D :D :D

Wow only just caught up with this thread, the information is brill, as I am looking at putting something in the Bunny Palace for Bella and Benji, just to keep the chill off, this is most helpful thank you so much :D :D :love: :love:

The plug in thermostat is really good, certainly worth the money I paid for it, the one I have you can also use it in the summer with a fan on it to keep the temperature down as well.

Back