• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grr...some people (sorted i think)

I have a friend who is in her early 30s so she's old enough to know better.

Her parents bought a rabbit for her nephew and niece (2 years ago) and suprise suprise they got bored of him. My friend has told me all about this rabbit - he's stuck in a small hutch all day and never really gets any attention. I've told her countless times about the need for company, toys, a proper diet but it seems that she & her dad are still stuck in the dark ages and think mix, lettuce :( and the occasional carrot are adequate. I mentioned spaying and vaccination and she practically laughed at me. She also thinks my bunnies are spoilt (they get toys....a proper diet, vaccinations etc)

Now she's told me that rabbit has "dandruff". I suspect that he has mites as Mr Gus had flecks in his fur when he had mites. I've begged her to take him to the vets as it must be horrible for him but when I told her the likely cost of treatment she said her dad wouldn't pay for him.

What can I do about this? Should i suggest to her that they ought to think about re-homing him? How can I make her take him to the vets?

It seems a common problem, bunnies being bought for grandkids then stuck in hutches. And by people who should know better - I have another friend whose parents got their bunny for the grand-daughter. She's well-loved but they absolutely refuse to spay her "in case it changes her character" and they wont bond her for the same reasons although they are out at work most of the day.

Anyway sorry for the rant, my friends have just really annoyed me. They are both educated decent people but seem to have lost the plot when it comes to animals.

Ask them would they take a dog or cat to the vet if it had the same problems, as most people would take them, but a rabbit? nah :twisted:

If they say yes, but a rabbit is 'different' ask them in what way is it any less deserving of care than a dog.

People like this make me furious! :evil:

Strange you should say that......she has 2 cats and yes she takes them to the vets for vaccs etc........and her dad has a dog that is well-looked after.

I think I'm going to suggest that she re-homes bunny anyway - I think she might want me to take him but I cant (no room, no time at the moment and I suspect they'll end up with another "furry" then that will need rehoming in a year or 2)

Thats how I ended up with Gideon one of my guinea pigs. Bought for a 4 year old by a friend of a friend, dropped, broken leg. Parents wouldnt take to vets or give to us even though we begged them. Eventually decided they would neck her unless we took her off their hands. Leg reset itself by that point but now she's got a limp and prone to athritis. The stupid parents are now going to get her a rabbit apparently. If they do then I will report them to the RSPCA.

OH Sarah its even more annoying when its people we know who do these things :cry:

hope theyu listen to you .

if we wernt so full id offer to take the poor bun . We do have a waiting list if need be :cry:

The RSPCA sadly do little when its too with rabbits or anything other than dogs or cats. The laws need to be re-done, they are based on really old laws made decades ago! :evil: Maybe print off an article off RU or another website saying why they make bad childrens pets.

The rabbit needs vet treatment. If she isn't willing to take him for that treatment, then she should look into rehoming him, as she isn't giving him the very basic of care.

If you are stuck for somewhere to take him, then I know Sara's Rescue in Hudds has some space, and I can pass you on her contact details.

Can you get some mite treatment for them yourself? I know the best stuff comes from the vet, but you can buy mite spray & stonghold.

I dont think a leaflet about rabbits will help to be honest, they are too stuck in their ways. But I feel a quick loss of temper on my behalf that might shock her into doing something!

Thanks for the offer Angie. I hope they will rehome him and I will mention that you have a waiting list.

I've never seen this rabbit btw but I am going to invite myself to her parents house and actually speak to her dad myself - maybe I will shame him into being a bit more responsible

I'll let you know how it goes.....

I've emailed my friend and told her (again ) that he needs to go to vets. I've also told her that rehoming would be best for all concerned. Veronica - thanks for the info - I may be in touch when my friend has replied to the email.

Bunny does live in a hutch and if worst comes to worst he could go in my garage temporarily - but fingers crossed they will let him go to a rescue.

Thanks for everyones advice and concern.

Good luck sorting out the rabbit. I was once in a similar situation: I won't go into the whole story, but the thing that amazed me was that when I offered to BUY the rabbit from them they said 'no' (they loved it too much), yet a few weeks later they just moved out of the house leaving rabbit behind (!). I cannot understand what was going on in their head (if anything), but I conclude that people DON'T want to give their rabbits away, even if they don't really want their rabbit. I don't know what the solution is, except to make sure they know that it is perfectly reasonable for them to give their rabbit away, and that you know a good place for it, and that you will help get the rabbit there.

ALSO - as they probably know very little about rabbits, have you tried mentioning that whatever nasty skin complaint the rabbit has, you hope it doesn't affect the children?

Another thought: I think part of the problem is that their method of keeping rabbits is seen as 'normal', and yours as 'spoiling' the rabbits. How about getting the children a christmas present of a subscription to the RWA? Then they get a year's worth of magazines full of stories of rabbits kept properly...

Well I'm quite a happy girl

My friend has made an appointment for the vets for bunny which is good.

She says that her dad doesnt want to rehome the rabbit - she says he looks after it well and has just done up the hutch for winter - I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that one - I still think he needs stimulation and a more modern approach. But it appears they are more concerned about it than I thought.

I feel a bit bad for moaning about my friend now - but as you all know owning a rabbit isn't just about feeding it - I still thinks he needs company & toys etc. Still it appears that the mites will be sorted.

She also said the kids would miss the bunny if he was rehomed - so I may do the rabbit welfare thing so they know that there is more to having a bunny than they all think!

PS - And I'm sending him some of my lots toys - I'm sure they have enough to share!

Well done! That sounds promising. And I think the RWA thing for Xmas is a fantastic idea!

Just to update - Peter rabbit has got mites and he's also Petra!

She's been treated at the vets for her mites :) and toys have been despatched to her.

I've also invited the kids round to see my bunnies and how we look after them.

Back