• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD and Myxi vacs

Jonny

Warren Scout
Just a couple of questions on these vacs for my new bunnies.

1. The buck is going to be neutered before we pick him up. Would there be a problem getting the vacs administered a week of so after the op? I know vets are not keen to give the vacs at the same time as doing the castration.

2. Are any follow-up jabs necessary in order to get a vet's certificate? When I took one of our cats for its first vac, it had to return around 3 weeks later for a follow up before the vet would issue the certificate.
Just planning ahead in terms of bunny boarding at Christmas!

Hey, I think the myxi boosters are either every 6 months or every year dependant on the level of risk in your area, ur vet will be able 2 tell u, not sure bout VHD think its just once a year everywhere? Someone will be able to correct me if Im wrong. Make sure u ask ur vet if they put any of the Myxi vacc in2 the buns ears, a little in2 each, and if not ask that they do - see this link why

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=31787&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

:D

yep, i think you are right. It is myxi twice a year if the disease is rife in your particular area and vhd is once a year.

Cheers. But if it's a first time vaccination, rather than a booster - is there a need to go back after 2-3 weeks for a second before they will certify it? They asked me to do this with my cat for Feline Leuk... but maybe it's not the case for bunnies.

No, only thing with the first vaccs is that the myxi and VHD can't be done at the same time - usually a gap of 2-3 weeks between them, but you'll get the certificate from the vet straight away. Perhaps some vets will hang onto the certificate until both vaccs have been done, but mine gave it to me straight away after the myxi jab and I had to take it with me when we got the VHD jab done

Ah! That's probably what I was thinking of with the cat as well. Just as long as I can get both done before we go to Ireland on 21st Dec. We're getting the bunnies on 13th or 14th Nov so hopefully that should give us adequate time.

my bun is going for his myxi on friday but that vet doesnt do VH vaccine?! she said they dont have cases of it in the area so dont do the injections. dont know quiet what to do!?

bumble3130 said:
my bun is going for his myxi on friday but that vet doesnt do VH vaccine?! she said they dont have cases of it in the area so dont do the injections. dont know quiet what to do!?

My vet said she doesn't see many buns with VHD because they're usually found dead in the morning and she doesn't get to hear of it, but they still offer it as she says it's out there.

Find another vet or persuade this vet to order the vaccine in for you.

Yes, i would definitely get the vhd jab done as it can be carried by birds and even on clothes apparently.

I think most vets seem to reccomend you wait about 10 days for the first vaccination after a neuter. However, my vet did Rowan two days after because the risk of myxi in nottinghamshire is very high.

She also reccomended doing them every 6 months, and its even more important just before summer starts.

I had all mine vaccinated at the same time they were neutered and spayed and then they had second vaccination 2 weeks later. They were all fine.

Hiya

At work, we always leave at least 5 days after an op before giving a vaccination. As has been said you need to leave a gap of 2-3 weeks between the Myxi and VHD jabs (they cover totally separate illnesses, but for some reason can't be given together).

It's a bit different with cats as they get a first vaccination then 3 weeks later a second vaccination of exactly the same vaccine - not sure why, guess that's how they get maximum immunity! But then only need one lot of injections with their yearly booster.

Nicola

Back