• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First bunny shopping list

Jonny

Warren Scout
OK so the bunnies have been chosen. Shed has been cleared out and hutch is being made. ETA is 2-3 weeks.

Can I double check what I need to get in place before the buns arrive?

- Line shed floor with newspaper. Put mixture of straw and good quality hay on top.

- An old piece of pipe (any ideas on where to find!)

- Toys (again - any ideas?)

- Water and food bowl (or do all bunnies prefer a bottle?)

Anything else I should add to the list?

Cheers

Jonny

Toys..balls, toilet roll tubes filled with hay, I also have rattley carrots and sweetcorns, tunnels, wood blocks they can chew, Newspaper...

We're thinking of giving them trays of dirt/sand so they can dig..but not escape

I've lined my shed with lino which is easier to clean. If I lined it with newspaper they'd shred it and then pee on it :lol: Also get two or three litter trays, I just use cat ones, line with newspaper, shavings/woodbased cat litter, and a good handful of hay and place in areas they pee in. Hopefully they'll use the trays instead of the floor, very handy for cleaning! Most buns catch on really fast to use litter trays, especially if they're neutered/spayed, although mine used one when unspayed too.

A litter box (or two, if you want 3 bunnies) would be useful, then you don't have to scrub the hutch so much. I have triangular litter boxes with a high back, and I put newspaper, shredded paper, straw, and in one corner some fresh hay. So they can munch and do their business at the same time.

I have one of those log tunnels that you can bend, and I have it flat on top. They like to sit on top of it, and just now they are both squeezed underneath it and cuddling, stretched out. They don't use it for gnawing, but some bunnies do.

Then I have a grassy ball, a hollow ball made of dry grass, that I fill with herbal hay or other hay. You may want to think where you want to put the "good" hay that you don't want to be trampled on. I tried a hay rack, but wasn't too happy with it.

I got some straw and seagrass mats for them to sit on and to chew, they love those. I also have some that I put into their run and then int the boiler shed at night so they get dry again. Gives them something to sit on if they don't like the concrete. I have a cardboard tunnel and lots of different sized boxes that they can use for playing.

Have you decided what food you want to give them? I can recommend Burgess Science Selective, a lot of bunnies seem to love it and it is high in fibre.

As for other toys, it depends on the bunnies. Mine are not very interested, but you have to try a few things with yours. Just don't overload the hutch with stuff.

You could wait and see how clean they are, if they use a litter tray then carpet would be okay. If they're a bit messy it's a pain to keep clean.

Tam

Jonny said:
I have the shed lined with an old piece of carpet at the mo. I take it that should go?!

You could save it and use it if they get litter trained but I find they sometimes trample poo into the lino and it needs scraping up which would be hard on a carpet. You could use the carpet on top of the hutch for them to sit on maybe? I guess it depends on how clean they are.

Awww first bunny shopping trip - I remember mine well!
lots of hay always a good start,... as for a bottle or bowl for water find out what they are used to...
My baby boy was brought up on a bottle my girl on a bowl - She soon had him dirnking from a bowl, although I wanted her to drink from a bottle :roll:
As for toys and stuff the cheap ones are always played with more! :lol: like cardboard tubed with hay and maybe some treats inside. and things they can chuck around or hide in etc...
tunnels you can get from petshops or builders yards etc.

my shed's lined with carpetthey're quite good and all their wee goes in the trays though, I just sweep the poos up :D I have a small hutch in there too filled with straw so they have a snuggly place to go and it's also good to attach a bottle and hayrack to. They have a cardboard tunnel thats so far lasted 2 1/2 years :shock: a little plastic stool that they hop on and a wicker basket!

Have you decided what food you want to give them? I can recommend Burgess Science Selective, a lot of bunnies seem to love it and it is high in fibre.

:? :? :? burgress and sceince selctive are diiferent and not made by the same company actually burgress is quite low in fibre for a pellet SS is much better!

Ooh, how exciting! I loved getting Salt and Pepper's run ready!
Mine all love cardboard boxes filled with hay to sit in, and plant pots filled with hay to chuck about.
A digging box is a great idea too - a storage box with some compost in it (or I use bark chippings).

I believe a water bottle is more hygenic as cant widdle or poo in it, and cant tip it over, if did this and u were out that wouldnt be good - if they like a bowl, give them both.

My 2 aren't really big toy hands but they have liked - their seagrass matt, their bendy log tunnel (from Pets at Home, only about £7, and u could get a few to make it longer tunnels), big balls spesh for rabbits like the 1s u get for cats with the bell inside, the corn and carrot shaped toys made from sisal grass, and they LOVE willow balls, although they didnt like the willow sticks.

Also, they love their litter trays full of hay, and are known 2 sleep in it and everything, and cardboard boxes - I'll have the open side at the top and cut a little door in the side, fill it with hay and they'll dig in it and sleep in it, or put the open end to the bottom, cut a door in opposite ends and they'll use it as a tunnel/hidey hole.

Back