• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

This is an Odd One

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Jake, (1 year old neutered buck) started to drink and wee lots over the last two weeks. By the end of last week he was drinking up to 1000ml in 24 hours!! :shock:
In every other way he has been fine. Weight stable, eating and pooping OK, Urinalysis clear (dip test) very energetic......
I had intended to ask Christobel to run a blood profile on him today as I feared a Kidney problem. In the meantime I started him on Panacur. Well, after 3 days of Panacur he is back to drinking a normal amount :?
I asked Christobel if EC effecting the Kidney could respond so quickly to Panacur. She said it depended on how quickly it got into his blood stream and to the effected organ/organs.
I will continue the Panacur for 28 days but I never expected to see such a rapid response..... :? :?

Janex

Hi Jane,

Could it be an infection somewhere? I know that humans drink more when they've got one, but not sure if it's the same with buns?

Gemma

AliBenMummy said:
Hi Jane,

Could it be an infection somewhere? I know that humans drink more when they've got one, but not sure if it's the same with buns?

Gemma

Well it wasn't a wee infection as that dip-tested OK. His temp was normal and he was not 'ill' in himself. But OMG he was drinking SO MUCH :shock:
Very odd...... :?

Janex

Could he be diabetic? I know you said his urine test was normal but it would explain the heavy drinking if it's not his kidneys :?
Think the blood test is a good idea :)

Back