• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hormonal nightmare bunny

Frida is now 5 months old and a nightmare! I cant wait until I can have her spayed.

I tried keeping her out of the living room as she leaves lots of currants all over the floor - the other 3 go in the room on a daily basis so I guess she's marking her territory. Anyway after 2 days she was so sulky I relented but she's no better. She's now started weeing in the corner on the floor where I put the other bunsters litter trays. And yesterday to top it all off, she weed on my foot!

She's also very territorial with her cage and if you put food in you risk having your hand scratched off, plus she growls all the time.

When she's out of her pen she's very loving though and enjoys being fussed.

Does anyone have any tips for hormonal youngsters? The vet wont spay her for another 4 weeks and I think I'll have lost my sanity by then! My other 2 does were spayed and much older when I got them so I've no experience of this before.

Sounds like my Mocha! My vet spayed her at 4.5 months thank GOD! She hit puberty at 3 months and was an absolute terror, peeing everywhere, pooping everywhere, and being very aggressive. Remembering that makes me wonder why I bothered to get more rabbits! :lol:

Best advice I can give is don't do anything in her cage while she's in there. When you let her out to play, wait until she's out of the cage then do all your cleaning, adding hay, etc. I always feed my buns at the end of their play session so they willingly go back in, so I kept her bowl out and put it on top of her cage where she couldn't get to it.

Oh, and don't back down. If she knows she can scare you by acting tough she'll just learn to use it to get what she wants.

thanks for the advice :)

she does think she's the boss but I am quite stern with her when she's being a pest so she tends to back down.

i do the cleaning while she's out but i do actually feed her while she's in the pen. ill let her out first now and feed her when its back to bed time.

and then ill keep marking off the days on my calendar until 2nd dec (not that im desperate or anything! :lol: )

Pippa was the same before she was spayed and then within two weeks she was a different bunny, she's still a bit of a stamper to show her disapproval but is much nicer and friendlier. Good luck with her spay :D

Back