• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this hutch adequate?

Jonny

Warren Scout
Is there room here for three?

http://www.mrbuns.co.uk/a4el.htm

(my rabbits will have the run of our garden shed too which is quite big).

The chap who is making it assured me there was, but someone else said to me that ideally the hutch should be 5ft long for three rabbits. However, I'm wondering whether the extra width would be enough to compensate?

hmmm, its a two floor which means that each floor height is probably about a foot and 4 inches... which isn't a great deal.
I suppose it depends on what sort of buns you get - a dwarf or nethie breed might be fine, but I think the height would not be adequate for a large breed. (you should really have enough height for the buns to stand up at full stretch - with a small breed you might be ok, but my dutch can stretch a loooonnnggg way! :lol: )

Will they have a run attached as well or were you just planning on them living in the hutch all the time? because if so then I definitely think it's too small.

The hutch is going in our garden shed, which is a decent size - so they'd be free to run around it all the time, with the hutch left open for them to pop in and out as they please.

Haven't chosen my buns yet (going to the shelter this afternoon), but was thinking of getting small ones.

If the consensus here is that I still need a larger one, I will give the joiner a call and ask him to make it a bit larger.

I think if they will have free run of the shed and the hutch will be open all the time then it would be fine. In fact you might even get away with something smaller as then it would'nt take up so much room if you get what I mean. BUT if they were to be shut in the hutch at any point then it would need to be bigger I would think

Still think you can get better hutch. Check out happy hutch!! :D They are ace! You can also get a Super one from P@H, its called Thisle Hall and its on offer at the moment for £109. That would be plenty big if the buns will have run of the shed too.

m
xx

I agree with Sue - if they have the run of the shed too then they should be fine. Have you checked out eBay for hutches? There are loads on there of all sizes and you can get a real bargain :D

If they get the run of the shed all the time, then you don't technically even need a hutch! (the shed is the hutch! :lol: )

But if they need to be shut in, then you need to make sure the hutch is big enough.
If you do get a pair of larger breed buns, the same company do a 6ftx2ftx2ft single story hutch which would provide them the extra height for the same price.

Thanks.

We're not planning to shut them inside the hutch as the shed is very secure.

I was wondering though - would they be better being put out in the summertime in their hutch with the run attached?
The lady at the shelter suggested this might be better. Initially, I was thinking they could stay in the shed the whole year round with just the occasional outing in their pen, under supervision?

There are dozens of cats and dogs running around where we live and I see the odd fox too. So I'd be reluctant to leave them in their run, outside even for a few hours, and would rather not confine them to a hutch if they have spent all winter running around a shed.

Or am I just being overly paranoid here?

I think you'd get better value for money if you take a single tier hutch, which has more height for the bunnies to stand up in. At some point you may want to move the hutch out of the shed, and then the model you posted, will be too small. The 5ft and 6 ft hutches won't fit into your shed, though.
Tricky!

Is your shed in the sun or in the shade? Will it get quite hot in there during the summer?

I think they should fit ok - shed is 8' X 6'.

I will call and order the single story 6' hutch instead.

Thanks for the link to the pics. Awesome! I'm not much good with the DIY but I'd really like to set up something like that

If they are going to have the shed you would probably be better and less expense on your pocket not buying a hutch at all and instead kitting out the inside of the shed for them, with shelves, toys, tunnles and even as i think Sue said adding a cat flap in one side and attaching a run. That would far better suit 3 bunnies.

Mine live in large enclosures, and have two hutches in each. Neither are large enough to shut a bunny at all, they are really just there as a hidey hole. They actually much prefer to sit on top of them than in them :roll: so that's another good reason for the single storey :D

My buns are in the shed which will have attached run but it does get hot in the summer so I'm planning on buying a hutch and run for outside in summer.

I would say that hutch isn't big enough, the RSPCA won't home unless you have 5ft x 2ft x2ft minimum for 2 medium bunnies with attached run. If he's already started making one for you I would change it to a single 4ft hutch for the shed (mine have Parsley Den from Pets at Home and like going in it as a hidey hole) however I would then get him to make you a 5 or 6 ft one with attached run or shop around for a bigger one, you can get bigger and better for £130 or so. Make sure the height is 2 ft min as so many aren't big enough for your rabbits to stand up in.

The problem with sheds is that they can get pretty toastie in the summer (flippin eck i know mine was - and that was just to retrieve some bunny supplies i keep out there!)

Some people that have bunny sheds take out some of the glass windows and install mesh instead for ventilation, but it depends if you want to keep buns in there, and other stuff higher up! :lol:

I have a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch and I find it just about big enough for my two small to medium sized bunnies. For 3 small bunnies I'd suggest this size, if you take the hutch out of the shed.
I got mine on ebay, from the Happy Hutch Company, for about 100 Pounds including the shipping. I'll see if I can find a link for you...

Ok, this is the one I got:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Flat-Roof-Rab...9871827QQihZ018QQcategoryZ63513QQcmdZViewItem

I think the also build wooden indoor hutches, which would be ok inside the shed. Check out their website.

OK the larger single storey hutch is now sorted... and I've also ordered a 5 X 3 run to attach to the side of the shed. Next thing to get is a cat flap and finding a means of levelling the ground. DIY is not my forte ! :?

Now I am off to choose the buns!

Back