• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pictures of rescue ex-breeder bun -Bertie

Nicola3

Mama Doe
This is Bertie. He was in an awful state when I took him from that awful place.

He was riddled with mites, his feet were extremely sore and he was very depressed and scared. He is a real cuddle bun now. His feet are still slightly sore but he is much better than he was.

This is him when I got him home
bigblack02.jpg

bigblack04.jpg

bigblack05.jpg

This is him recently:
bertie03.jpg

bertie04.jpg

bertie01.jpg

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Nicola, he had such dead eyes in the first pictures. Well done for taking him in giving him a fresh start.

I know he was one of the worst cases. He was riddled with mites. The breeder wasn't going to let me take him as he was in such a state and was going to give him the chop when I had left but I insisted that something could be done for the mites so he let me take him.
He was very sorry for himself as you can see from the first pics and just cowered when I took the photos. He is a real snuggle bun now and will run over as soon as you approach his hutch.

The sad thing is there are lots more that I couldn't take. I am hoping to take some more soon when I have the space.
Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey

Nicola, well done for "working" with this guy to try and get some bunnies out. It must be awful for you to know this is going on and you are powerless. What do they get out of showing rabbits. Is he showing or breeding for others to show. Do they get money out of?

He breeds rabbits for showing and is heavily into it.. I have to be very careful how I play it as if I got difficult he wouldn't allow me to take any more buns and it would be the poor rabbits that suffer.

I find his whole outlook on rabbits messed up. It's like he collects them and when he wants to show me some of his prize rabbits he just drags em out and starts to fluff them up and bounce them on his table as if they were little dumplings. He then proceeds to blow into their fur to show me their banding etc. I have to indulge him and appear interested. The sad thing is there are always new litters.

He has a row of his prize bunnies and then in the dark corners of the shed where there is no light are the forgotten about buns who have had their day and are no good for showing. You wouldn't even know they were there unless you get on all fours and peer into the tiny boxes where you will see two little eyes peering back at you. It's awful. Cos it's so dark you can't really see the rabbit that well and it's not until I get them home and check them over you see what condition they're in.

His words to me are "If they're no good you just chop 'em , you've got to be brutal in this game".

He doesn't breed them to sell he breeds them to show as he is very active in this area. He travels all round the country showing his rabbits. He doesn't make much money out of it. He gets lots of rosettes and sometimes money if he wins. It's all about winning and the social status he thinks he gets from it that he's into.

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Back