• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Piccies of rescue ex-breeder buns-Tess

Nicola3

Mama Doe
As some of you may know I picked up quite a few rex bunnies this yr from a breeder that was going to break their necks.

I thought I would post a few pics of some of the buns:

First up is Tess, a castor rex. She is a beautiful bunny. She has gained more confidence but can be shy. She loves her time in the garden.

tess02.jpg

tess04.jpg

tess06.jpg

tess07.jpg

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

They are gorgeous and I do get attatched but I should be finding homes for them as they deserve to find fantastic bunnymummys to give them lots and lots of love and fuss.

I know there are others waiting to be rescued and some that have already met their fate :cry:

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

I hadn't realized you had taken in more than one and what circumstances you rescued them from. Good luck in finding them new homes, they are lovely bunnies.

They all come from a breeder that 'necks' his older stock or buns that are not showable any more. Some as young as 6 months. They all have sore hocks as they have no bedding and have been kept in darkness all their lives. They were petrified when they saw daylight for the first time.

There are more that need rescuing but I need some space before I take any more in. It has also been costing me a small fortune in vets fees.

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Nicola3 said:
They all come from a breeder that 'necks' his older stock or buns that are not showable any more. Some as young as 6 months. They all have sore hocks as they have no bedding and have been kept in darkness all their lives. They were petrified when they saw daylight for the first time.

There are more that need rescuing but I need some space before I take any more in. It has also been costing me a small fortune in vets fees.

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Do the circumstances the buns are kept in not warrant investigation by the rspca or someone similar? I know anytime I've tried to raise a 'cruelty' issue as long as the animals are fed and watered adequately their hands are tied though :(

Hi Kayjay :D ,

He's been reported before but there is nothing that could be done because they are all fed and watered. But on looking at the 'forgotten about' buns you can see they have been neglected. It's basically like a death row of buns. He even boasted to me on how he had been reported and that the person that paid him a visit was very interested in his rabbits.

The reason I take them is because he blatantly admits that he 'necks' the unwanted rabbits. He has no love for these rabbits they are simply for showing. He has never taken any of the rabbits to the vets when they are ill.

His remark to me are" You've got to be brutal in this game, if they're no good you just chop 'em". He used to breed belgian hare cross buns for meat. He can't believe that there are people out there that are willing to offer homes to these rabbits. It's totally beyond him.

When a litter is born he only keeps a couple of the babies and kills the rest of the litter.

I've got to be really careful how I deal with this man as if I get funny with him he won't let me take the buns for necking. I haven't been able to take any more for a while as I haven't had any room so I expect others have already met their fate.

It is so sad and the fact is it happens all over the country.

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

OMG :shock: :shock: :evil: :shock: :shock: that is one of the worst things I've ever heard :cry: :cry:

For some people torture is too good :evil: :evil:

Thank goodness you rescued the ones you did :D . Lots of luck with the ones you have and to all the poor babies left there (while they're still alive :cry: :cry: )

I know it happens, many years ago my dad bred for meat and for pet shops and his attitude is that if they're sick or not breeding any more you kill them with a chop to the neck :( It's totally beyond him that I've got my bun spayed and vaccinated and have her with another one and go to the vets when they're sick - he just doesn't get it. It's probably a generational thing too, in his day he bred rabbits initially for his family to eat when food was scarce. Times change though thank god.

Lets hope it dies when him and this breeder and similar die of old age.

Well done you for getting out the buns you can, it must be awful to know there are more you can't help, but you can only help the ones you can.

It is very sad and there is only so much you can do. I feel bad for the ones left behind and there is one in particular I keep thinking of. He was only 6 months old and so skinny. Next time I go back I hope he is still there and I will take him home .

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Well maybe you would like to take some pics of Fia the next time you go Nicola and tell him that people do really want to give these buns a home and they can be very happy!!

fiachill.jpg

fiachill2.jpg

bunsgroom.jpg

fialazy.jpg

Grrrrrr Nasty man!!

Shiv, Zi & HAPPY Fia

Hiya fwiends :D ,

I've told him that there are lots of people out there willing to offer these buns a home and he couldn't believe it. He thinks I'm nuts fot taking them...I'm sure of it. He can't understand why people would take rabbits to the vets and if he ever gets poorly buns he just breaks their necks.

He breeds rabbits for showing and is heavily into it. I have to be very careful how I play it as if I got difficult he wouldn't allow me to take any more buns and it would be the poor rabbits that suffer.

I find his whole outlook on rabbits messed up. It's like he collects them and when he wants to show me some of his prize rabbits he just drags em out and starts to fluff them up and bounce them on his table as if they were little dumplings. He then proceeds to blow into their fur to show me their banding etc. I have to indulge him and appear interested. The sad thing is there are always new litters.

He has a row of his prize bunnies and then in the dark corners of the shed where there is no light are the forgotten about buns who have had their day and are no good for showing. You wouldn't even know they were there unless you get on all fours and peer into the tiny boxes where you will see two little eyes peering back at you. It's awful. Cos it's so dark you can't really see the rabbit that well and it's not until I get the home and check them over you see what condition they're in.

He doesn't breed them to sell he breeds them to show as he is very active in this area. He travels all round the country showing his rabbits.

It is so sad and I wish more could be done. All I can do is help the buns that I can.

Fia looks so happy with you Shiv. They are gorgeous piccies and she is such a lucky baby. I'm so happy she has found such a lovely home.
Please give her a massive snuggle from me.

Big hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Hello,

Thanks for the comments. She's a lovely lady. The garden is lovely at the front. Piccie shows front garden. Back garden however is work in progress. We bought the back garden a little while ago and it was literally like a jungle. Weeds and trees everywhere. Has taken ages to get rid of all the weeds and undergrowth and flatten the ground out. Would be nice to have the back garden looking like the front but we've got a long way to go yet.

Big hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Nicola3 said:
Hello,

Thanks for the comments. She's a lovely lady. The garden is lovely at the front. Piccie shows front garden. Back garden however is work in progress. We bought the back garden a little while ago and it was literally like a jungle. Weeds and trees everywhere. Has taken ages to get rid of all the weeds and undergrowth and flatten the ground out. Would be nice to have the back garden looking like the front but we've got a long way to go yet.

Big hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Wow so your buns go out in your front garden?

Back