• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Savlon on Bunnies??? Sore Hock

rockk

Young Bun
Hello all,

My rabbit lita must have hurt her back foot (am I right in saying hock) today ... she's been out in her run and since being back in her hutch there are some blood stains.

I've checked her over and she has a cut on her back foot (will be checking the new bit of grass the run is over to ensure nothing stray and sharp has appeared)

The book I have says clean it with warm water (which i've done) and add antiseptic cream .... It doesn't say savlon but thats the only thing I can think of .... SAVLON????

Can this be used on bunnies or is there something else I should do / get

Will get some sudocream then, didn't think savlon should be used on bunnies ... what if she licks it????

She's a rex and apparantly they suffer from sore hocks however this has never happened before bless her (She's over a year old).

She has her hutch full of sawdust on the bottom ... could this do any damage while the wound is there????

I would put the sawdust under the paper for a a while to prevent any getting in the cut - or not use it at all. I would also clean her out every day (if you dont already) to keep it nice and clean. I have used sudacreme for sore areas before and agree with you about being dubious about savlon. Hope this clears up for her x

Is there anything else that can be used that she might not eat (instead of newspaper)

Lita has a bad habit of eating all paper and cardboard thats near her (she doesn't shred it like normal bunnies ... just eats it!!) , and she has suffered with GS alot so I don't like her eating it ... scared of the longer term effects... wood shavings is about the only thing she isn't bothered with :D

Sorry to be a pain

Do you have any vetbed?
i would of thought the shavings will irritate it more,my rexes get beded on vet bed,as claudes hocks are really bad :(

Vet bed is excellent for sore feet, info here: http://www.petlifeonline.co.uk/Default.aspx

Though it's probably cheaper to buy from ebay. If you want it quicker you can pick it up in some petshops sold for dog beds.

It's really thick so lots of padding and it draws moister away from the surface which helps keep it clean/dry under foot.

I've never heard of that stuff ... thanks a lot I will get some. Her foot does look quite sore bless her and I will be getting her a fella soon (another rex hopefully from the local rescue centre) so don't want anything to hurt them either.

I'm assuming with it saying you can wash it that its reuseable ... Lita isn't toilet trained, I tried when she first came indoors however she didn't really get it - The litter tray that is in her hutch she uses to lay in and then pee's and poops everywhere else!?!?!

Yep, you can put it in the washing machine :) Top tip from a previous thread is to put it in a pillow case first though so you don't need to de-fluff the washing machine after wards :)

If she has a favourite corner for weeing then you could try a second litter tray there. Some bunnies are a little contrairy in their litter tray habbits though :lol:

Thanks everyone

Shopping list for tomorrow -
# Sudocream
# Vet bed

Thanks again, I'll let you know how I get on.

I can reccomend Fuciderm (available from vets) for sore hocks. It is excellent stuff- antiseptic and soothing :thumb:

If she has broken skin then she might need a course of antibiotics

if the skin has broken i would recomend gently washing the area twice daily with salt water to help prevent infection
putting a litter tray (emptyed daily )in her cage will help keep everything as clean as possibal while she heals too. (nobody wants to stand on poo in bear feet...especialy ones with cuts)

If the skin is actually broken your Bun needs Veterinary attention.
Sore hocks that get infected can cause serious problems resulting in tendon damage and infection in the bone.
Bun also needs analgesia as sore hocks are, well.... sore!!

Janex

Thanks for the tips and info everyone, I will ring the vets this morning then because when I bathed it last night it did look like a slit on her foot, like she had stood on something.

Its stopped bleeding now but I will ring them anyway just to be safe (and look for vet beds in the meantime) ... thanks again.

Back