• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hutch/run size

vanessa

Warren Scout
Would a 6x2x2 hutch on top of a 6 foot wide and 4 foot long run be big enough for two small/medium size bunnies? They would have access to a bigger run on dryer days. Would this pass a rescue homecheck, if not what size run should I be looking at getting?

Yes, that should be great :) I think it would pass the large majority of rescues homechecks but the best thing to do is contact your local one or the one you're planning to adopt from before you buy and just double check.

Tamsin said:
Yes, that should be great :) I think it would pass the large majority of rescues homechecks but the best thing to do is contact your local one or the one you're planning to adopt from before you buy and just double check.

If a 6 x 2 hutch with attached run doesn't pass a homecheck then I don't think the rescue will be homing many bunnies, I would have thought it was perfect for 2 medium buns :D

I was just concerned about whether the run was big enough really. Also I was wondering with the hutch/run combis how you get to the hutch for feeding/cleaning etc. do you have to stand in the run to do this and if so does it make it quite difficult?

I think it depends on the style - some of them can have the hutch the other way round, so that the hutch mesh part faces away from the run, although I guess it wouldn't tuck so nicely against a wall that way round. Otherwise I guess you'd have to lean over, or stand in the run to do the cleaning.

I'm sure that size would be fine for most rescues - I do know of one wonderful rescue in Hertfordshire who requires a minimum 50sq foot run size though! She does seem to do really well at rehoming, I think she explains so well to people the benefits of giving buns lots of space that most of them end up doing it :wink:

I've got a hutch/run of that style, and you can get to the hutch part by leaning, but to clean it you have to get in the run. But you can sort of walk it across to a different place to clean the mess in the run.

Back