• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

VHD Outbreak (New Mills Area Greater Manchester)

kayj

Wise Old Thumper
KateCo emailed me this morning to say she had had an email of the breeder that she got Charlie off (my British Giant) to say there had been an outbreak in that area. I will ask my vet tomorrow but thought I would let you all know.

Are there any precautions you can take as well as having your buns vaccinated? I'm not sure how this is caught??

VHD is carried by anything on anything to anywhere, the only protection you can offer your rabbits is to vaccinate them xx

VHd is a viral disease which was introduced in Austrailia in the 80's by the chinease to iliminate the rabbit population. It can be carried on anything to anywhere at anytime and will kill your rabbit usually without warning. Nothing can kill it and it will stay in an infected areas soil and ground for 4 years. The only prevention to death is vaccination.

I've been to the vets this morning with my two, Jasper was having his first Myxi and Honey had her VHD. According to the vet there have been some cases in North Lancashire, he says he's not had any cases at the surgery but he's all ready for diagnosis. Doesn't sound very promising to be honest!

Gemma x

This is awful....
Are the vaccinations defintely 100% effective? Or is it like the Myxi one, symptons are lessened and better chance of recovery.

Mad Bunster said:
This is awful....
Are the vaccinations defintely 100% effective? Or is it like the Myxi one, symptons are lessened and better chance of recovery.

No the VHD vaccine is 100%

Back