• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Home check and stuff

tmak

Warren Scout
Hi, found a possible boyfriend for Zoe called Bugsy, he's lop eared similar colouring to Zoe, 2yrs old, was handed in because he was too noisy and the neighbours were complaining about him, was paired up but his partner died which maybe why he was noisy, very friendly though but a bit shy.

I'm having a homecheck in the next few days. The branch are part of the RSPCA, can anyone help with what to expect etc - I've heard the RSPCA are very strict but they didn't come across like that today, they were very nice and easy going.

There is a little bit of water getting into the run, nothing much but it's a bit damp in places and I've tried, and I'm still trying to stop it. Will this count against me?

What are the most common reasons for homecheck failures? Are they going to spring something on me I'm not prepared for?

He's only been neutered for a week and a half, when should I pick him up (if all goes ok) as Zoe's not spayed and I don't want babies?

Hi Zoe! Having seen pics of your accommodation I don't think you've got anything to worry about :D Plenty of runs are completely meshed over and would get soaked in rain so I really don't think that would be an issue - they have plenty of dry places in your enclosure. They are mainly going to be looking at things like size (obviously fine!), checking that it is fox-proof (e.g. bolts or locks not just those wooden clasps on the outside), they will probably have a chat about diet, bedding etc to check that you understand the importance of hay, as you already have a bun they will look at how clean it is. No need to worry about normal poops etc lying around, that's normal - it's ground in dirt and stuff that obviously hasn't been cleaned out for ages that is a problem. And of course they will meet Zoe and see that she is a healthy, happy bunny. I really don't think they will spring any surprises on you and I'm sure you'll pass with flying colours :D

Edit: To be on the safe side if you're not planning on getting Zoe spayed, I'd wait 6 weeks after his neuter, as there is still a possibility he could get her pregnant :shock:

Ditto what AlisonA has said. When the RSPCA came to mine they just wanted to make sure the accommodation was suitable, from what AlisonA said yours is but you can check what they require on their site, that I knew how to look after a rabbit with regards to feed, bedding, exercise etc and that I was registered with a vet. They came back about 6weeks later I think it was, just to check the buns and I were still happy. Both the women who came round were really lovely, the second lady stopped for tea and a chat :D

Thanks, I'm quite nervous and I didn't have any checks for Zoe so this is completely new to me - I have some kind of stereotypical image in mind where someone comes and is really strict and picks on everything and takes Zoe off me, but I'm a born worrier! They were very nice, I think it'll be ok but I'll be happier when it's over.

To be on the safe side if you're not planning on getting Zoe spayed, I'd wait 6 weeks after his neuter, as there is still a possibility he could get her pregnant

Thanks, Yeah I thought it was 6 weeks but I wanted to make sure, they didn't mention this to me and I forgot to ask when I was there. Quite excited now!

He's big compared to Zoe, I think he was a bit scared when I put my hand in and he tried to hide behind his food bowl but it only hid his nose :lol:

You could consider getting Zoe spayed anyway, I don't know about Zoe, but my bun Pippa was far too territorial and hormonal to bond before spaying and it prevents womb cancer which is very common. Then as soon as she's healed, you can bond anyway, I left it 2 weeks and it was fine :D

Back