• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When should buns be seperated?

I have a rescue bun who came to me aged 3months and pregnant, I know the boys become capable of getting girls pregnant at a yonger age than girls can get pregnant but I'm not sure of exact figures.

Seperate by 10 weeks particularly from the mum. At 5 months they could easily be pregnant!

Can you tell if a bun is preg by feeling them? I never noticed with Holly but then I wasn't expecting it.

I have a feeling these two maybe here for a while :?

Heeelllpppp :? :?

An expert might be able too but I think it's meant to be tricky. Seperating and waiting a month is only way to be certain.

Tam

:shock: :shock:

Should be able to get them to me by next weekend Sue. I have Cavyslave bringing me a bun from Walsall then so if we can get them to Walsall for Sat then things will be ok... luckily I have no tenants at the moment so IF she's pregnant I do have room to seperate them :shock: :shock:

The problem is likely to be that at their age, she is most likely pregnant. If they are left together in the meantime, there is a risk that she will give birth overnight and by the time you discover the litter, she will already have been impregnated again and will have another litter 4 weeks later :cry:

Heartbreaking as it is, I'd say it's safer to separate them now (ideally so they can still see each other) and at least get the male neutered, and possibly the female spayed the same day depending on your feelings on spaying a potentially pregnant bun, or maybe on whether a vet can't feel anything :?

The earlier the male is neutered, the sooner they can go back together again.

Right they are now apart :( They have a level each in the hutch so they can't see each other but theres nothing else I can do.

Emma.. Raine is helping organise this run now, bless her, I will just wait to be told where and when to take them :?

Boys usually 3 months but I've heard of two at 9 weeks (only male in house in both cases). :shock: :shock: :shock:

And I know of a 4 month old girl who had a litter, she would have been 3 to 3.5 months old when she conceived.

Best of luck! Hopefully she's not pregnant.

Emma I think you will have to make the choice of an emergency spay or not. :? :( Sadly as they are brother and sister I would have thought risking them have kits could be heartbreaking but then she is also a very young rabbit too

Sue&Sooty said:
Emma I think you will have to make the choice of an emergency spay or not. :? :( Sadly as they are brother and sister I would have thought risking them have kits could be heartbreaking but then she is also a very young rabbit too

The first ever rabbits I had were brother and sister and that doe ended up having babies (had no idea about neutering then... was only 6 :oops: ) and they were all fine. But I would rather not have baby buns at this time :?
According to Gem when she recently went to the vets she couldn't get Whistler done because he wasn't 'developed' enough yet... I'm HOPING that's still the case.

How long is it after the buck is neutered that he can be put back wth the doe?

Six weeks, but you may want to get your doe bun too, then the can go back together more or less straight away. I had two unneutered buns in Bubble and Squeak, I neutered them on the same day and let them recover together.

Back