• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nala's Unwell! U/D -Back to Normal!!

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
Well at 5pm last night Nala was her usual self running up and down the stairs.. scoffed her pellets like mad whilst chasing her treatball around with the other two. When i put them to bed at 11pm i give them their veggies and she is usually extremely eager to get them but she refused to go upstairs. I eventually persuaded her to go up but she totally ignored the veggies. I left her for a few mins to see what she would do but she just lay down in the corner. I tried to syringe a few mls of pineapple juice and water down her but most of it ended up in my lap. I also tried giving her a ml of Infacol but again not alot actually ended up in her mouth and she wasnt licking it so it just dribbled out again. Gave her a good belly massage for half an hour just in case too. I hardly slept worried that she wasnt well. This morning she seemed more lively.. came to greet me when i went in their room but when i offerd her some food she hopped away :( I had to work this morning.. been worried sick.. bf got up and offered her some veggies/pellets throughout the morning. She had a tiny nibble of a piece of brocoli and a tiny piece of carrot but nothing else. When i got home i syringed a bit of pineapple juice into her and she really lapped it up, gave her a belly massage too. Still refused veggies and pellets tho so off to the vets we went. She had her temp, teeth, heart, chest, belly all checked and vet can find no physical reason for her not to eat.. he said.. seems she's just on hunger strike! :roll: I have got some Critical care to give her.. he said to give 4-5mls every 4hrs til she eats for herself. If she isnt eating tomorrow i have to take her in again. Well she lapped the first 4mls up from the syringe when we got home. I took her in the garden to get her to hop around and she just turned around and leapt into my arms!! Now those who know nala thats not her at all.. she hates being handled!! :shock: She keeps laying down next to the sofa im sitting on and i can sit stroking her, which again is not her at all, she usually runs away.
Please please send some vibes for her.. i really want to see her munching like she normally does really soon.. im sooo worried about her. Any ideas what could be wrong please tell me cos im stumped and so is the vet :? :(

Awww Chris

Sending you lots of love and vibes for Nala, Your slippers are my most favourite.

Please get well for Mummy and Daddy Nala

Awwwwww Nala stop worring your mummy :cry: and start eating, Sending lots and lots of get well vibes :love: :love:

Hiya! Hope she eats soon. Its such a worry isn't it. My understanding is that its very very difficult to get a good look at teeth unless its under GA. The molars are simply too far back. It might be worth considering this if the problems continue.

What about some metaclopramide to help keep her guts ticking over at the moment.

For syringe feeding I mush down my pellets (Oxbow) and mix in with baby food (tastes better and doesn't clog up the syringe, the baby food carries it really well). I would go for as much as you can get in at any time. If you syringe some boiled cooled water too and she might feel a bit better.

You are doing a good job and hope bunny gets well soon.

Fiona x

hopefully she's just having an 'off' day - sometimes it just seems to slow down in their guts due to wind or hair or something - then it just goes 'gloop' and all starts chugging along again - Benny did this to me a few weeks back but it didn't last longer than half a day.

Did the vet give Nala a gut stimulant? If she's full of wind you could see if she'll eat a rennie rapize tablet - Maa loves the raspberry ones! Works the same as infacol I guess.

Has she had a painkiller? She might be cuddling up to you because she's in pain? It could well be her very back teeth I think too - I agree with all of Fionabun's points - Water might be better than pineapple juice as that's very sweet - sugar will feed any bad bacteria building up on an empty tum. Try and get some mushed up pellets into her - and I hope she's better soon!

The vet had the metaclopromide out ready however he said her guts felt fine, no blockages or gas so felt it wasnt necessary at that time. They are open tomorrow so he said i can go back again if need be. She hasnt had any pain relief as she didnt seem to be in pain.. she is still hopping about but doesnt appear to be scared of me anymore :?
OOOOOOOhhhhhh i just went to see what else i could find and decided to try apple.. ive tried cabbage and parsley and pellets without success.. and she has just had a nibble of the apple peel. I know its probably sugary like you say the pineapple juice is but im wondering if the stronger smell/tastes are better as she is ignoring everything else.
She loves the oxbow critical care... the vet has given me a couple of 1ml syringes and chopped the end off one of them so it comes out the end realy easily.. unless im making it too water that is! :?
I guess i'll have to see how she goes and if theres no improvement i'll speak to the vet about checking her back teeth. He used one of those coned things like what they use to look in ears to look into the back of her mouth.
Thanks for the thoughts... i'll keep ya posted

Chris, I am so sorry to hear how worried you are about Nala. Just not her usual self but you have done all you can and all I can give you are huge healing vibes. Love and hugs to you both
80.gif

well its looking a bit more positive now! I just made her run upstairs and back down again and suddenly she did a puddle of wee and big lump of poo... then as she ran more little ones came flying out at me!!! Still not eating but at least things are moving

She is still sat not doing much.. ignoring most food i try. Just picked her up to give her more critical care and found a little bundle of tiny poos stuck to her bum and feet.. they really are teeny weeny but at least its a sign things are on the move... she is just having a tiny nibble of carrot too. Got the boiled water cooling so i'll give her some of that in a bit.
The vet said to give 4-5mls of critical care every 4hrs.. how much water would you give on top of that? 5mls every 4hrs (in between the critical care) be ok?

Back