• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Harry's poos. Advice Needed.

julia.julibob

Warren Scout
Please can someone advise me. Harry in not eating his wet poos, rather doing them wherever, and then standing on them! :? I understood that they were supposed to eat all their wet poos and that if they dont then their diet may be wrong, or something else :cry:

Harry has slightly less of his Supa Rabbit Excel (junior/dwarf) than it says on the back, and lots of hay. As yet ,I have not given him any veg. I dont see that I can give him any less pellets as he tries to launch himself out of his cage every morning when I go to feed him already!!!!

He has had a full check up at the vets, and is in perfect health.

Is he just a messy little wabbit?????

Julia

What's the fibre content of his dry food? How old is he?
I know a lot of people on here have had trouble with Excel and 'sticky bottoms'. It may be worth changing his food over to Allen and Page or Science Selective. Make sure if you do this though that you change it over slowly, over 10-14 days.

The usual cause of excessive caecotrophs I believe is that the diet is too rich so by cutting down on his pellets and giving him extra hay you are doing all the right stuff. Like HS said I would try a different pellet, SS is what I use and have never had any problems with it.

Harry is a Minilop and is 15 weeks old. The fibre content is 16%.

I have not see the Allen and Page food. Who sells it?

Julia

How much dried food is he getting? Mine have about a tablespoon each per day. I know they go mad for it, but as long as he is eating loads of hay he won't starve.

I recently had a problem with Dusty, and it turned out to be the hay she was eating stacks of! She is now back on the veggies and absolutely fine.

I've heard about the excel/sticky bum link too - I've never had a problem with science selective, even when they've been put straight onto it - You can buy it from http://www.ukpetsupplies.com/

You don't want to cut his food if he's only about 3 months old anyway, but you could split it into 4 seperate meals, so he doesn't gorge himself in one go.

I've found that mine have the odd sticky poo if there's a lot of distractions or if they are moving around a lot - They like to have a quiet time about 3 hours after eating a 'meal' of pellets, as this is when the eating poops are produced - so maybe if you shut him in his crate or whatever around that time, he might settle down and eat them.

I've found that minilops seem to be more susceptable to excess caecotrophs. I know my vet said this seems to be the case and I certainly have this with Teddy. He's now on Science Selective (not too much) and has masses of hay and not too much veg, but he still has loads of squished poops every morning. He's been checked for teeth, etc, and is fine in every other way. In fact, he does loads of normal golden poops as well and I just think he is always going to have this problem. My Poppy never has it and she has exactly the same diet.

Thanks Minilop! I will try another diet first, but he just seems to be rather dirty. I will do all I can, as he is a house rabbit and I dont really want squished smelly poo's everywhere! :oops:

Julia

Back