• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jess' spinal injury has worsened. U/D Jess died this evening

Fionabun

Mama Doe
You might remember that I posted a while ago about my bunny Jess who had a fractured rib. There was also some indication that she had an injury to her neck/back too. She went from strength to strength following lots of TLC. Well on Monday night I noticed she was disinterested in her food and had a lot of gas. I treated her at home that night and saw the vet on Tuesday. No particular cause could be found and we presumed that she had aggravated her rib fracture so I treated her with pain relief, metoclopramide, infacol and syringe feeding.

I took her to the vet again yesterday as things were no better at all. She is still lying down lots, looks sore and is almost completely off her food. She got an xray and had her teeth burred which were a little overgrown and sharp. However the xray revealed that the spinal injury has got worse, the top of her back looks more dropped on the xray and she has got a stooped appearance. :cry: It can only be presumed that something has happened to make it worse. I am totally devastated.

At the moment, she is home with me and inside with her little friend Clover. She had a little more appetite last night and munched about 3 strands of hay. Otherwise she is being syringe fed (she is a good patient). She is grooming herself though has once or twice made a whimpering noise when doing this. At the moment she looks as though she is starting to give up. She is having metaclopramide (1/4 tab crushed x 2 daily), Metacam x 1 daily, Vetergesic sub-cut injections x 2 daily. She is also having Pancur but nothing to do with this, all my rabbits are on a 28 day course.

I am terrified of her prognosis which I know is probably poor. The vet felt that it was difficult to judge at the moment. We felt it was worth checking out whether the burring of her teeth might make it more comfortable to eat, though my suspicion today is not.

I just wondered if anyone has any suggestions or experience of having a rabbit with spinal injury/chronic pain. She can move, there is no nerve compression but its obviously sore as she is lying down alot and looks uncomfortable. I have a huge decision on my hands here but I know I will not let her suffer. However, I want to give it a bit more time just to see if she picks up a little.

I can't believe this. I can't stop worrying about her and feeling guilty.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Any advice or suggestion would be much appreciated.

Fiona x

I'm really sorry to hear this Fiona - poor Jess :(
We have had a few with spinal injuries and some have been able to cope with it whilst others haven't :(
The spine may be pressing on a nerve that affects her eating as all the nerves go through the spine as with ourselves :(
One particular bun that we had called Pebby was marvellous - she coped really well for over a year until it became to much for her :cry:
You have to ask yourself if Jess is going to cope. You know her better than anyone and no-one can tell you how to deal with this :(
The damage may also be affecting her lungs - this will make her more tired as she will not be able to get enough oxygen - this finally happened with Pebby :(
You have to ask yourself if quality of life is good - quality always goes above quantity :(
I would give her another day or so to see if she can cope - with having her teeth done as well this rocks them in their sockets so the pain could be coming from there :? and this is why she is whimpering.
I am sending all the positive vibes that I can for Jess who is such a brave girl.
I only wish I lived nearer so that I could come and help with her a bit - send her lots of kisses and cuddles from me - xxxx

I'm so sorry Fiona - I cant offer any advice on this one but just to let you know I am thinking of you and Jess.x

I see you have good advice already Fiona from Jay who has dealt with this tyoe of thing over and over. I am so sorry that I can't offer any advice as I have no knowledge but just to let you know I am thinking of you.

Take care

Thanks for the advice so far. I am so so worried about her, she is very lethargic and I suspect in pain. I have popped her back out into her hutch/run for the moment as she seems a bit happier there. I will bring her and Clover in later for the night so I can keep an eye on her, give cuddles, meds and syringe feed her. She munched a little more hay and a carrot top but gives up quickly.

I am totally gutted and a wreck. She is my beautiful brave girl.

Fiona x

Hi Fiona
I don't have any advice but just wanted to say, I'm thinking of you and hoping that Jess will be ok. These bunnies are such a worry aren't they. You sound a very kind and loving bunny mum so I know how worried you must be feeling. Take care and I hope that things are improve.

xxx

You are in the hardest situation as a Bunny Mummy with a Bun who appears to be deteriorating :cry:
As Jay has said you know Jess and are best placed to assess her quality of life.
Whatever you do it will be with Jess's best interests at heart.
I am thinking of you at this very difficult time.

Janex

Hi. Thanks for your lovely replies. Jess is generally the same, in terms of looking uncomfortable, though I've just seen her eat a couple of her Oxbow pellets, a little kale and she had a little sup from her water bowl. She had a munch on some herbal hay at about 5pm and a little strand about an hour ago. Just a little but better than nothing. She has certainly got a little bit of fight in her. I'm going to feed her before bed and do her medicines.

Update: o/h has just called me downstairs to see Jess eating another little bit of hay. Vibes for the hay munching to continue please!!

Hope all your bunnies are doing well and are enjoying their Saturday evenings.

Fiona x

Well a little more veg has been nibbled from the bowl. Trying to stay positive but not to get my hopes up.

Fiona x

Hi there. Well Jess has definitely been nibbling much more last night today than I have seen since Tuesday. Still not enough but it will do. So fingers crossed that it continues. She has had a little grass, herbal hay, meadow hay, some rolled oats and a good few carrot tops.

However, she is still spending a lot of time lying flat out. Her poos are small and quite few and far between but better than nothing I suppose. I didn't give her the vetergesic this morning, just the Metacam as I feel the vetergesic makes her more sleepy and possibly slows down her poos. I'll give it later if she looks as though she needs it.

I think she is guiding me to give her more time. I am still very scared though as I don't want her to be suffering. She is definitely one to go almost completely anorexic at the slightest hint of something wrong so I'm taking my lead at the moment from the fact that she is eating a little more.

Thanks for all your get well wishes. I have told her that people are asking for her!

Fiona x

I wonder if your Vet may think a Vitamin B injection might help :? They tend to boost a very poorly Buns appetite. It might be worth a try :?

Janex

Thanks, I will definitely ask about the injection.

She has eaten a little grass and is not hiding any more. I'm just about to bring her and Clover in to keep an eye on them tonight.

Will speak to vet tomorrow. Lots of vibes for eating!!

Fiona x

aawww come on Jess.. get better soon! I hope she manages ok with her injury.. its so hard to know what to do when they cant tell ya. We all sending vibes that she keeps munching

Back