• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Marley unwell, ok now 8-)

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Last night Marley was off his food, I gave him some calpol, about 1 o clock I picked him up for a cuddle his belly was making some right noises.

I got up today he'd taken himself off somewhere quiet and was listless, his ears were cold (colder then my other house bunnis anyway), he would touch food and just wanted to lie still.

We've been to the vets and his had gut starter jab and metacam jab. We've got recovery food and bio lapis for him. He's had his teeth check (they looked fine)but the vet said his mouth is pale (what does that mean?) .

He's had a bit of water and a bit more alert but he is feeling sorry for himself. He seems to have gone like Holly did.

He's old so I'm very worried, what does a pale mouth mean?

I have no idea about the mouth, but having had a bunny scare myself last night I know how you must be feeling. Fingers crossed and prayers said for you and Marley.x

bilbo said:
Isnt pale gums a sign of anaemia?
Also what is his capillary refill time?

is that what it is, how could he be animic?

and what's a capillary refill time? :oops: :lol:

chloaster said:
I have no idea about the mouth, but having had a bunny scare myself last night I know how you must be feeling. Fingers crossed and prayers said for you and Marley.x

Thank you :D

there are lots of things that can cause anaemia so don't panic just yet! I would imagine (and i'm guessing) that capillary refill time measures the blood speed? ie: circulation.

Sending healing vibes hope he picks up soon xxx

Thank you Teresa, he didn't have his blood speed taken. He has A&P and veggies and hay, I am very confused how he could of got animea. Cricky bunnies are hard work :(

Hope Marley is improving. I'm playing nurse to Fergus at the moment so know just how you're feeling.
Jane

Poor Marley

He probably has pale gums as if he's in pain with his tum his blood pressure will drop.
Getting him warmed up will help and hopefully once the metoclopromide and metacam kicks in he'll start to feel better.
Sending vibes to Marley

Janex

Aww, I hope he feels better soon.
Bobby gave us a scare like this last week, and it took 3 days of bursing to get him back to normal. The vet gave liquid paraffin too,a sshe said she could feel a small blockage of something.
Get well soon Marley.

Oh Tree...I am sorry to hear this and even sorrier that I cannot help you. Just all my good vibes for you both

Love from

aawww not you too! Come on Marley.... get better really quick for your mum!
Tree capillary refill time is how quickly blood supply returns if u stop it.. on humans you can do this on a nail by pressing on it, it goes white, let go and the refill time is how quick it takes it to go back to pink. Ive no idea how u measure this on a bunny though.

Cheers Chris, I was very confused over that it makes sence now :thumb:

Thanks for all you well wishes, I think it worked as Marley is back to normal, he's back to stealing veggies out of the oher buns mouths and running off with them :lol:

I even come back from shopping and he was grooming Beatrix, I am so happy, he such a special little bloke. Thank you so much everyone :D

Diddeen said:
aawww not you too! Come on Marley.... get better really quick for your mum!
Tree capillary refill time is how quickly blood supply returns if u stop it.. on humans you can do this on a nail by pressing on it, it goes white, let go and the refill time is how quick it takes it to go back to pink. Ive no idea how u measure this on a bunny though.

Same method but you press on their gums :D

Janex

Back