• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Training

Janna Galaxy

Young Bun
Hi,

I've had my little bunny, Atlantis litter trained for months, now for no reason I can think of he's just doing it everywhere but the litter tray.

I'm at my wits end, I've tried moving the tray, I've cleaned the areas he's marked, I've even put the marked areas in his tray. He just won't use that tray.

Please has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks
Janine and Atlantis.

that makes it harder then, all i can think of is to increase the trays until he starts using them, then gradually take them away again. Just put a tray everywhere he had an accident, bit of a pain i know but it worked for mine!

He's been fine until about a week ago. Part of me thinks it's attension seeking.

But it's harder to clean his soiled litter everyday if he's doing it everywhere.

if you use wood pellets ypu should be able to get away with changing it weekly, especially as it won't all be concentrated to one tray. I only change mine weekly!

Is he free range? One thing that worked for me with Squidgy was to restrict his area (he's a nethie, so we restricted him to a 4'x4' area). Put a couple of litter trays in there, move them around if need be, to where he seems to be doing his business. Once he's going in the same spot all the time, enlarge his area a little etc.
I would be tempted not to clean his litter trays everyday either :?

He used to have a cat little tray that fitted from one side of his home to the otherside. But after a while I noticed that he only uses one side, so I got him a rabbit litter tray that fits into the corner and he was fine using that until last week.

<sigh> I think I'm going to have to get him a cat litter tray again and start from the beginning again.

I have the same problem with my boys!! They have the cleanest litter tray ever!! :roll: I have found that they tend to pee whilst munching their hay so I bought a hay net and hung it over the litter tray. This has not completely solved the problem and they are only using the litter tray cos it's in the way, but it helps. :)

Back