• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit mites??? UPDATED

Groovychick1804

Warren Scout
I think my rabbit may possibly have mites. She has boldish patches on her fur. The reason I think she has mites is coz she has just recently finished her 1st ever malt and this can be really stressful for rabbits and i heard that mites lay dormant and when the rabbit is stressed come out! Is this true? Ill take her to vet next week to get checked!

UPDATE!!!!! I took her and the vet wasnt sure what was wrong but he gave her a injection for mites and is due another 2. HE also gave her a VHD Jab as I asked for her to be done!

Your bunny will be fine when treated, does your bunny live with another bun, because they will both have to be treated. It will be a simple once a week over three wek course of injections.

There are quite a few different reason why your bunny could have mite. They could of simpy of come from the hay :D

My vet told me that this was true when Bundle had mites. Have a look through her fur, especially at the back of the neck - if you can see "dandruff" there's a good chance it's mites. It's easily treated though, either with injections or my vet used drops, applied once a week for three weeks. You'll need to disinfect her hutch and anywhere she goes in the house too to prevent them coming back. If the vet treats her with drops then mine told me not to handle her until the day after the drops had been applied as it could interfere with absorption.

They also recommended Acclaim Plus to spray round the house and hutch (but not while the bunny is in there and make sure the windows are open!)

Back