• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bacteria in Abscess - Anyone heard of these?

AliBenMummy

Mama Doe
Hi there,

We have had the results back of the cultures from Alice's ear canal abscess and it's come back as Staphlococcus (sp?) and Seratia. I've heard of Staph. and this is being treated with Baytril as the bacteria is sensitive to it. I haven't heard of the other...I'm picking up some Noradine antibiotics tonight to get rid of that one...just wondering if anyone else had experience of it?

I now have to give Alice two injections a day and still keep her wound open and clean so it can drain the pus. Thing is, her skin is really sore and has gone flaky - I've got some vaseline to put on and I'm drying round the area. Theres a crease of skin in her neck that is really red and I presume the moisture is collecting here. Any ideas how I can make her more comfortable? It seems to be hurting her more than the big hole in the side of her head!!! :?

Many thanks,

Gemma

Hiya...like you I know a bit about Staph but I've never heard of Seratia either. I just did a google search (which suggested spellins Serratia with a double R) and found this article - something to do with serratia and ear mites. Don't really understand it but based on this, it may be worth using some kind of mite treatment along with the antibiotic? It's possible that mites are also causing the soreness on the neck??

http://www.springerlink.com/content/ku815345138x5378/

Edit - yep just did a bit more searching and although most of the articles I found are very technical, it does imply that serratia bacteria are associated with rabbit (and sheep!) ear mites.

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.

I'll speak to the vet and ask them if we can treat for ear mites too. I don't think they found any, but it can't harm as long as there's no side effects with the antibiotics.

Alice seems to be doing really well, she's really happy even though she has a hole in the side of her head!!

Gemma

Back