• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ear Biting

Shazza

Warren Scout
Hello,

Have a little problem. Bella's new rescue bun boyfriend BB came to live with us about a month ago. They appear to have bonded well, but have noticed this week that BB has started trying to chew Bella's ear. At first I though that Bella was just being all aloof and not wanting to be groomed on the ear. But this morning after he tried it again, noticed that there was a bit of a scab. This morning he's obsessed with trying to chew her ear. Understandably she's getting a bit cheesed off with it and being more aloof with him. I'm worried we're about to have a big falling out. Any advice to why he's doing it and what I can do to stop it? Have also noticed a bit of bum sniffing/attempted bum biting on both sides. I really don't want them to fall out.

Hi, are both neutered, or just the one? I am not sure why they would do this if both buns are neutered but I am pretty sure someone will know.

I'm sorry I can't be much help. My rabbits often groom each others ears I guess there one of the difficult bits to reach for a single bun! But if there is a scab then that suggests there is a bit of over grooming going on. Was the scab definately not there before?

scab only appeared this morning. Both are neutered. Have tried giving BB marriage guidance on how ladies don't like overfriendly ear nibbling!

do the get on well apart from that? You might have to just keep distracting him if you see it happening and keep an eye on it, hopefully it will calm down when they've been together a bit longer. My Splodge was quite an aggressive licker with Amy but in the week they were together he cleaned her yucky eye up so it can be good!

Also, have they got plenty of space. My bertie kept having a go at Daisy so I increased the size of their play pen and now they are fine. They have to be able to get completely away from each other if they want to....

Back