• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shed or hutch?

bizzy_vicki

Mama Doe
Well my shed is a fair few years old now and has been adapted many times to suit different housing arrangements....new doors, whole sides took off, put back on, in half one way, in half another way, split 2 levels etc. etc. Is been painted many times too, its still in working order but getting a bit shabby and I'm thinking its time for something new.
So my question is do I get large rabbit hutches (such as that large p@h one) or stick with a shed, I'd be buying 2 of whatever for my 2 bonded pairs. Would a hutch, even if large, be fair if they were used to a shed floor area as living space?

If you have the space I'd go with sheds too! You could even do 1 bigger shed and section it down the midle so both pairs could live in it!

Definetly go with sheds, they are draft proof and you can always add a run. Plus there is more floor space, and the price of a decent hutch is a rip off when you compare it to the price of the shed. Also, the best advantage I have found is that with a shed you can sit in with the bunnies and let them climb all over you, and in wet weather I'd rather sit in a shed with them than stand in my waterproofs getting soaked. Its great, and with a well fitted cheap lino floor, its easy to keep clean. I LOVE my bunny shed best £300 spent (including lino,extra felt, waterproof paint and delivery)! :D

Yeah thats pretty much what I thought, you can get a pretty big shed for the price of a decent hutch! I miss getting inside too, my sheds been split lengthways so its like a 6' x 4' double decker hutch not really allowing me to get into it and it can be a ****** to catch the top buns if they are playing silly as I'm quite short too :lol:
Thanks for the replies, I'll be going with my gut instinct and get sheds!

It has to be a shed. In our old house they were in hutches under the carport but after we moved the hutches were exposed in the new garden. A shed is not just space for the bunnies but protects both you and them from rain and wind in winter as well. We spend loads more time with them now they are in the shed and we don't get wet every time it rains.

We've got a large shed which I've divided up into a rabbit half and storage half for bikes etc. It is good I don't get wet and once we have a run attached the buns can choose whether to come out or not. However for summer I'm thinking of getting them a large hutch and run as I'm afraid the shed will get far too hot in summer as it's on the sunny side of the garden. I'm starting to save now, they're soooo expensive :shock: Shed's are better value.

Hope you don't mind bizzy_vikki but I wanted to add something on to this post.

I have a shed for lita with her hutch in so she has a "private area" ... how can I make it more interesting for her. The hutch has a ramp down to the shed floor but has anyone ever put any low type steps or shelves in for their rabbits to climb on ... or is this not a good idea?!?!?!

At the minute its a boring shed with a hutch and a few toys in ... we're getting her a partner but I want to make it more interesting for her

Any idea's anyone

Not a problem Rockk :D

You can put shelves into sheds, many buns like other levels. In my shed spaces I've got wooden toy boxes which they jump onto to sit on, upturned dog beds, cat boxes, cardboard tubes and cheap toys. A yellow pages can really keep a bun amused! :lol:

A shed every time. It is the best £165 I have ever spent.
I sit in my shed for hours with Dougal and Mhairi, I love it.

Back