• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

metal thingy around my baby bunnys leg

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
hi

I was playing with my new baby bunny before and I noticed she had a metal band thing round one of her back legs :shock:

It is tight against her leg and has no like joint or anthing to get it off, it just goes all the way around.

Is that right? She is 10 weeks old. My other bunnys didnt have metal around their legs when I got them :?

And it just seems wrong to me

I dont know where she came from either. I called the girl that I got her from but she said she didnt know where her boyfriend had got her. She is going to ask him tomorrow and let me know.

Obviously I want to get it off, but I cant see how because it is real close to her leg

Hello :D
Its a BRC breeder ring. It tells you what year the rabbit was born and has a special number that is registered with the BRC.
They are very hard to get off and you will need a very sharp pair of small metal cutters.
If you are getting her spayed i would get the vet to cut it off. They dont cause damage unless they are too tight or they start cutting into the leg.
Hope this helps.
:D
Emma

please don't try to remove the ring yourself. unless you have experiance removing them it is all too easy to accidentally injure the rabbit. please ask your vet to remove it for you.

maxxev said:
please don't try to remove the ring yourself. unless you have experiance removing them it is all too easy to accidentally injure the rabbit. please ask your vet to remove it for you.

ooops :oops:
Forgot to add that bit :oops:

Any rabbit bought from a BRC registered breeder will be rung - I had two with rings Zeus was a conti giant and had a plastic ring, Cosmos was a rex and came with a metal ring (his breeder dumped him at a rescue).

I check(ed) them regularily to make sure they are not cutting in and havn't got stuff stuck under them however I do regret not having Cosmos' ring removed when he was neutered as he is getting a bit porky, however it is still not tight on him.

Usualy normal pet rabbits can get too porky for their rings (overindulgence of owners :wink: ) so it is advisable to get them cut off when the bun is under anaesthetic for a neuter etc.

Caz

Gorgeous and Evee have rings and aren't bothered by them, I just check they can spin easily and there's no wool stuck in them. Pooki has one too and as a rex it's a lot more visible and looks quite cute on him!

Its a BRC breeder ring. It tells you what year the rabbit was born and has a special number that is registered with the BRC

Thanks, I was worried it wasnt supposed to be there

I dont want to leave it on. And I wouldnt try removing it myself. She has the vet monday so I will ask them to do it

Back