• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help re myxi vaccine

Hi guys both my two rabbits are coming up from their vhd and myxi vaccines. I have phoned my own vet to see if they put the vaccine into the base of the ear as well as the scruff or just the scruff. They have said they only do the scruff and remove the needle into the muscle for the last lot of the vaccine. I have phoned all vets in my local area and non of them are willing or do the base of the ear as well as the scruff, and after reading posts on the forum I am now concerned that the vaccine will be useless if not administered properly :cry: :cry: What should I do?

Sorry probably a stupid question..but did you ask if they would do the base of ears and scruff method? Or did they just say they didn't? Might be worth explaining your concerns and where the new method is from and see if they would consider it?

Sorry hadn't noticed..mine go to companion care at Pets at Home in Peterborough..but they previously have just put it in the scruff..I will give them a call and ask...I'll get back to you!

Yesterday I was talking(via email) with Judith Brown, the RWA Vet. She states that it is NOT necessary to do the intradermal bit in the base of the ears..... :?
I asked her about what FHB had said and Judith says that FHB told HER that intradermal in the scruff is OK..... :?
That is NOT what FHB told my Vet... :?

So to say the 'Rabbit Savvy Vet's' guidelines is confusing would be an UNDERSTATEMENT........ :? :?

Janex

oh, and i was so proud of myself for asking my vet to do 3 sites.... oh well, i guess it can't hurt can it?

My vets differ on which vet it is. Last time sophie had hers done it was in the ear. I asked him if this is how they do it now and he said it depends on what you have been trained with.

I can't imagine vets being able to administer a vaccine in a way that it wouldn't be effective.

I trust my vets and go along whatever they do.

Just spoken to the receptionist at my vets and she said that she can't see why the vet would'nt be able to do it that why although they usually only inject in one site, I've got them booked for Sunday so will see how the discussion goes...

The reason for the ear is because then definately you get the 10% in the skin, doing by pulling the needle out you rely on the vets skill to get part in the skin. Also as an owner it's harder to tell it's been done correctly, where as via the ear you can see.

Maybe go back to FHB and get an official take on it. I thought she'd done a study on it?

Tam

I asked my vet for the first time on Monday when I took Evo for his, if they did a bit into the skin, and he said it depended on the rabbit!!! It's a new vet I've not seen before, and he did most of the injection in the scruff, then changed needles and did the rest into the skin a bit further down the back. I don't know if this is correct or not, but it's the only time that I've seen it done like that.

Back