• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ronnie update. And a collar for bunnies your thoughts please

BigBunz

Young Bun

After a stonking bill of over £300 Ronnie is doing well.

He's had surgery to remove the toe he was chewing.

He has improved but as soon as I took his collar off he started to chew his other foot!!

I have found that Ronnie is an obsesive licker if he is petted he will just lick the carpet, furniture himself and me untill we stop petting him.

But I was given a collar to stop ronnie chewing himself but it is designed for cats and dogs and totally not suitable for a rabbit absolutly no use. I designed my own and the vet said I should patent it.

I know a lot of people on here run rescues/ rescue rabbits and have their own bunnies has anybody had to use a collar on their rabbit.

Was is succesful?

If there was a collar for a rabbit would you use it?

If i get my design patented any idea how I would get it produced?

With the vets knowlege and approval my rabbit will be wearing my collar for the next 3 months at least and if the treatment in the next 3 months is not successful it could even be for life.

Your thoughts please.

Clare xxx

No ideas sorry but I think Fudge needs one too, he seems to have the same problem!!!

One of my cats had this strange reflex, too. Even when he was eating, he'd stop and lick his chest if I touched a certain spot on his spine. And when you tickeld him under his chin, he would start scratching his side with his back leg. I don't know what his history was, we found him in our garden one day. He had only one eye, and one of his feet was a bit turned outwards. We named him Frankenstein, or Frankie. :D

I am sure a bunny collar would be very useful, after operations when they try to bite open the stitches.

I presume you mean the elizabethan style collars they put on dogs/cats after operations? These shouldn't be used long term with rabbits because it stops them being able to eat their ceceal droppings which can cause stomach problems and prevents them getting the correct nutrition.

If you're rabbit has a chewing issue then contacting a behaviourist and trying to address the mental issues would be a much better option. I'm surprised your vet hasn't suggested this. It's certainly something you should explore before using physical interventions like a collar.

Alot of rabbits have a trigger spot(s) that when stroked they'll lick back - that's normal for a bunny! Licking the area around is also normal. For rabbits grooming is part of establishing heirachy and the lower ranking rabbit grooms the higher. If a bun likes you but doesn't want to indicate they think you're higher up the ranking they'll groom things near you instead.

I'd suggest you talk to a rabbit behaviourist and a rabbit expert vet and get their opinion on a collar before doing anything as long term as 3 months!!

Tamsin

This is Dobbs (one of my rescues) after his castration. He is now living with runnybabbit .
HPIM0315Dobbs.jpg

Thanks for your reply Tamsin :) The vet has suggested a course of treatment with the collar to try over 3 months.

The collar I made for ronnie stops him chewing his front paws but lets him reach other places he can eat ceceal droppings.

Kayj with the collar like Dobbs one I found with ronnie being a lop he didn't like his ears pushed forward and the collar stopped him from eating and drinking and he couldn't balance or walk properly did you have any problems???

Clare xxx

I had a cone made from xray film for egg after she chewed her first set of stiches after the 'op'.
It was a real bodge job, and she was pretty dirty after wearing it for a week. She lost her balance, and didn't like having her ears pushed forward (even though she's an uppy ears). She also kept catching it on things when she was hopping about.

If you can come up with a solution that works, I think you'll have a market! There is nothing worse than having to put a bun 'under' again when they have chewed their stitches because there is always the risk they'll die - and its easily preventable!

To be honest it didn't make one bit of difference to Dobbs as regards eating and drinking as he soon got wise that he could scoop more food up with the collar. It didn't stop him running around either. Dobbs is a lop and the only problem was was that it rubbed is ears a little so we put vaseline on them.

I suppose the major problem for me was that the damage was done when the vets didn't put a collar on her after her 'op', and was told that it had never happened before when she had to go get stitched back up. Now I don't really believe that.

If you can convince major vet suppliers that a collar after operations is a must, then it'll be a go'er.
Then again, if I ever take my buns in for operations again, i'll make sure the yet has something to use, or buy something myself. Afterall, what's a couple of pounds for a piece of plastic versus 40 to 50 pounds, and putting your buns life at risk for a second time.

Dobbs didn't have the collar on straigth after his op. He had a testicle that hadn't come down so he had an insision near his tummy. When I went to collect him they said they wanted to keep him in as he had opened the wound. The following evening I brought him home and had to take him back the following day as he had opened the wound again. So the skin was tearing so we had to have it stapled, by the time i got him to the car he had took the dressing off and the staple out. Hence the nappy and the collar. He had the nappy removed the following day but the collar was on for a week.

Back