• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E.cuniculi

nicole

Mama Doe
E.cuniculi spores is shed in urine. What dininfectant can be used to kill the spores?

I use Formula H (just because I can get it and I also killes the VHD virus).

From the literature U have read there is no definitive way to kill e-cuniculi spores in the environment but a strong disinfectant containing ammonia - Virkon, ARK Cleanse or 1/30 bleach solution is recommended. Extremes of heat or cold may kill spores.

i hope this helps all 3 of these are easily obtainable on the internet

how is E.cuniculi spores shed in urine if ammonia kills the spores? or is the leval of ammonia present in urine to diliute to have any noticable effect?

Don't know the answer to that :? but I do know prevention seems the sensible option. I help out at Greenfields and have picked up Lorna's strict hygiene policies (i.e. vinyl gloves and a seperate dustpan and brush for each shed to avoid cross contamination) and follow these at home.

Usually get my gloves from Blackbushe market but got them off the internet this time...... 10 boxes of 100 :oops: :oops: :roll: (well it was a bargain). Good for wearing when cleaning out the fishies too as you can get nasties from them as well :roll:

When urine is exposed to air, the ammonium ions in urine change back to ammonia and produce the distinctive smell we all are used to. The ammoniium levels in urine are not concentrated enough to destroy e-cuniculi spores. If you look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_urine it suggests that urine contains large amounts of urea which is an excellent source of nitrogen for plants. As such it is a useful accelerator for compost. Urea is 10,000 times less toxic than ammonia and is a byproduct of deamination (2 NH3 molecules) and cellular respiration's (1 CO2 molecule) products combining together.

Back