• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Echinacea

nicole

Mama Doe
I think I have bought the wrong Echinacea.
It's brown and tastes like cough medicine.
Is it the wrong stuff and if not how much should I put in Dougal and Mhairi's water?

I have only ever seen three types of echinasea, the liquid, the capsules and that which is found in tea.

With the liquid if you put a couple of drops a day in some water, usually in a small amount in a bottle (if you use a bottle) and let them drink it, then give them a refil of normal water.

I know people who use the tea as half a tea bag or hapf a capsule sprinkled over dry food is very easy to administer.

What exactly does it say on the bottle and what are the ingredients? I use echinacea (purpurae) tincture which is a brown sickly liquid and it's fine. I did accidentally buy an elixir once (also brown sickly liquid!) but that also contained various other bits and pieces so I didn't use it just in case. If you could type in what it says on the bottle, including brand etc, then we should be able to see.

I always use Natures Answer E-Kid-Nacea (although am struggling to get hold of any at the moment), as it tastes nice and is alcohol free.

Well it hasn't got anything else added so that's ok, I would go and look at mine to see if it's in a glycerine base but the cat is asleep on my lap so I can't at the moment!

Bavarian Bunny said:
What is the Echinacea used for in rabbits? To improve the immune system or something else?

Yes, to help boost the immune system. It's not used all the time, only maybe during an illness or as an occasional routine booster. On Adele's suggestion I do one week on, 3 weeks off, putting it in their drinking water. They drink loads more when it's echinacea time so they obviously like the taste!

i've just been using the bioforce echinacea tincture, and put 2 drops in Alfreds water bottle (although it is the 600mls size), I did that for 2 weeks.

jx

Thanx for all your help, will give it a go tomorrow morning. My rabbits are not unwell, just want to keep it that way. (if that makes sense)
Might try it out on the cats too.

Well gave them the echinacea in their water bowl today and they have drank the whole bowl. Filled it up again and both were drinking loads of it.
Is this ok?

Back