• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

cleaning hutch

i know your supposed to clean away poos and wet places of the hutch everyday but harvey seems to poo everywhere in his hutch. am i doing everything right by just changing everything - sawdust, hay and straw in sleeping compartments everyday because of the poo being everywhere ?
seems abit daft reading this back but i just wanna make sure. it just seems to much easier to replace it all than trying to get all the bits out from the hay lol

I don't know if its right or not but I clean out where lita has wee'd and done the majority of her poop's everyday.

Then any others that have gone stray, I pick them out (with a cat litter type thing so it lets the sawdust out) and remove them to. Saves on cleaning the full hutch out every day

do you use a litter tray? they can be helpfull, mine all wee in trays but if they had an accident I would clean the wet/mucky bit. As for normal poos I'd just leave them and clean them out weekly!

i was going to use one touie but i heard buns who arent neutered tend to poo everywhere anyway.i could try a litter tray tho and see how he gets on. hes only 11weeks old and our vets wont neuter until he is 6 months.

Ooh thats a long time to wait for a boy :shock: I had 2 of mine at the vets at 12 weeks begging the vet to do them they were that bad! :shock: I had to wait until they were 16 weeks which was bad enough :lol: My other boy was a little angel though :wink:

All my un neutered buns have used litter trays (touch wood Sugar's only 9 weeks!), they might poop out of it but it's the wee thats the problem anyway. I line with newspaper and use wood pellets :wink:

I'd give him a litter tray or two, mine use theirs for wee's and most poo which makes cleaning out much much easier. I clean my trays out every other day as I found if you're too clean they get confused where to go, it needs to smell of them if you know what I mean. Then every 4th day I clean the whole hutch and shed out.

Barley and Dolly are very good, they have decided that their toilet area is in the run, and although some dropping inevitable end up outside of the little tray (esp with Barley and his big thumper back legs they just fly out as he exits!!). To be honest I can't remember the last time I found even one dropping actually in his hutch!!! The run is easy to sweep out as it's concrete, and the hutch is pretty much clean (I emphasise on "clean" and not "tidy")

Back