• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rudy - Weeing Question

loopylop

Wise Old Thumper
Hi all,

Was just wondering whether you could fire some suggestions at me.

Rudy isn't using his litter tray in his cage (for weeing in), he has never been great with his tray whilst out of his cage but usually in his cage he is pretty good.

He seems to be weeing in his tray as well as all over his floor now :? And then just sitting in it and not bothered by the fact he is getting a wet (and stinky :roll: ) bum! I have currently put some vet bed in there to keep him dry - which does help him, but obviously doesn't stop him weeing on the floor.

He is drinking around the same amount and is fine in himself - eating etc so no problem there, there has been nothing that has changed in the house or no change in routine.

Anyone any suggestions?! I don't really want to put shavings down as he has long fur. Also, if anyone has any ideas on products to make him smell lovely again, that would help :lol: At the mo I am using baby wipes, but something stonger (obviously without lots of chemicals if possible) than please let me know :D

Thanks in advance :D

BTW, he is neutured and will be 5 after Xmas.

EDIT: Oh, and I did change him onto SS a few weeks ago :?

Hi Laura

Sometimes Buns with a bit of spinal arthritis find hopping into a litter tray difficult. They also get reduced feeling at their rear end so cant 'feel' when they are getting wet. Maybe your Vet could just check Rudy over for spinal discomfort and reduced hind leg reflexes.

As for cleaning him up (Rudy, not the Vet.. :lol: ) I wash my leaky Buns in a Fragrance Free Hypo-allergenic Baby Shampoo.

Janex

Sorry - cannot help on this one as I am having the same problem. Mine were fine - even when they were out in the garden they would come back into the shed and have a wee in their case.

But now - they go anywhere but in the cage - the top of seems to be a favourite so when I get home I have to clean piles of poops and rivers of wee of the top :shock:

Personally, I think mine may have hit the terrible teems stage :lol: :lol:

Bundle has been doing this for a while too - in the house she uses her tray with no problem, but in the run she insists on weeing just in front of it! She does some in the tray too but I'm finding that I have to clean the floor every day too - there are two patches right in front of the tray that she likes to wee on for some reason. She's NEVER pooed in her tray - just likes to scatter them generously wherever she goes :lol: :lol: (personally I think she likes me having to sweep them up with a dustpan and brush - she likes to attack the brush!) :roll: :lol: and she looks so sweet doing it that I guess I encourage her a bit..... (to attack the brush that is, not to poo everywhere!) :wink:

Oh, Snoopy does that, too. Most of the poo is in their litterbox, but a few sometimes fall out and when I try to brush them up, he comes and fights with the brush. :lol:

Jack's-Jane said:
Hi Laura

Sometimes Buns with a bit of spinal arthritis find hopping into a litter tray difficult. They also get reduced feeling at their rear end so cant 'feel' when they are getting wet. Maybe your Vet could just check Rudy over for spinal discomfort and reduced hind leg reflexes.

As for cleaning him up (Rudy, not the Vet.. :lol: ) I wash my leaky Buns in a Fragrance Free Hypo-allergenic Baby Shampoo.

Janex

Hi Jane, thanks for that. Would there be any other signs for this as Rudy hops about normally and will hop into the litter tray when he feels like it, I have just cleaned him out and the litter tray was full, so he is using it. I am wondering if he doesn't like it when it's full :?

It's just odd that he has started weeing all over his floor too :?

Is he passing a lot more wee than normal then?
Does it look very clear?

Any change of litter tray training needs watching. But knowing Rudy its just that hopping into a litter tray is often too much like hard work!! :lol:

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
Does it look very clear?

Any change of litter tray training needs watching. But knowing Rudy its just that hopping into a litter tray is often too much like hard work!! :lol:

Janex

Yup, that sounds right to me :lol:

I wouldn't say he is passing more than normal, its prob just cause I can see it on his floor as opposed to the seeing it in the tray! The central heating is on now, so if he is drinking more, that is probably why. He isn't drinking that much more for me to worry about it that way and the wee looks fine to me.

loopylop said:
Jack's-Jane said:
Does it look very clear?

Janex

Yup, that sounds right to me :lol:

I wouldn't say he is passing more than normal, its prob just cause I can see it on his floor as opposed to the seeing it in the tray! The central heating is on now, so if he is drinking more, that is probably why. He isn't drinking that much more for me to worry about it that way and the wee looks fine to me.

Towel under litter tray then so if he wee's outside it he wont sit in a puddle!!

Janex

Back