• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Method of male neutering?

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Question on castration....

When Hann was neutered he had two incisions across his plums :lol: , but new boy has one incision on the stomach. They were both done at different vets, so I guess they each favour a different method....

What are the deciding factors? And which is most common/safe? (Does the stomach method carry more risk like a spay, as he was actually opened up?)

(They were both about the same age when neutered so i dont think it was because of different development.)

They almost did that with one of my cats once. They shaved his side and luckily then noticed he was a boy before they sliced him open. :lol:

I have never heard of a castration method where you open the tummy. Are his plums gone completely? It wouldn't make sense to do a vasectomy, as he'd still be hormonal after that. My boy bunny had two cuts in the right places. :lol: I think he's almost forgiven me by now.

I think it just depends on vet preference. The stomach incision doesn't actually open up the abdominal wall so it's nowhere near as 'risky' as a spay in that respect, it just means that the whole lot can get whipped out in one go. I think dogs are usually done by this method.

The incision in each testicle method is probably a bit more fiddly as you have to do one each side, plus there's two wounds to close up, but there's less risk of damaging the abdomen. I think cats are usually done by this method.

I guess it's just down to personal preference, although it seems to me that newer qualified vets are doing the abdominal incision, so maybe that's now considered the 'best' method??

Bavarian Bunny said:
They almost did that with one of my cats once. They shaved his side and luckily then noticed he was a boy before they sliced him open. :lol:

No he's definetly a boy :lol: :lol:
Although i did have a panic when i had my male guinea pig done and he was done by the same method and he came back with an incision on his stomach- i had to call the vet and check I'd got his sex right! The receptionist had to go and ask the vet for me :lol: :oops:

AlisonA said:
I think it just depends on vet preference. The stomach incision doesn't actually open up the abdominal wall so it's nowhere near as 'risky' as a spay in that respect, it just means that the whole lot can get whipped out in one go. I think dogs are usually done by this method.

The incision in each testicle method is probably a bit more fiddly as you have to do one each side, plus there's two wounds to close up, but there's less risk of damaging the abdomen. I think cats are usually done by this method.

I guess it's just down to personal preference, although it seems to me that newer qualified vets are doing the abdominal incision, so maybe that's now considered the 'best' method??

thanks Alison.
Both of their post op recoverys didnt seem any different, so i guess perhaps it doesnt make too much difference?

Altho I suppose you need to take special care that their not jumping around after the stomach incision op as its on an area of tighter skin, like a spay?

The vet I used to use started doing it like that and the vet I use now said they are not castrating them properly doing it that way. They had left the testicles in but just made a tiny insicion and tied the tube :? you end up with one very hormonal bunny that still has its bits :roll: . My vet I use now makes incisions in the testicles, removes them and leaves them like that, no stitches, nothing to irritate them. This works very well as there are rarely complications and the testicle sacks are usually shriveled up with in a week or so :thumb:

They can still take the testicles out via the stomach incision route, they just pull the whole lot through and out the one hole. I guess if they're leaving the testicles there then yes I can see that just tieing them off would be a problem, but I think mostly they do still get removed.

Thats a bit worrying :? Perhaps i will ask them if they removed the testicles....altho im sure there was something noticeably missing at his post op, will have to look tonight :lol:

According to the research I did prior to having 2 male mice 'done' the closed neuter (through the lower abdomen) is the newer method and runs a much lower risk of abscesses and the like developing post surgery as the scrotum (sorry :oops: ) remains intact. However many vets still favour the open method (including my own) so it basically depends on your vet. Obviously if you have a preference its something to discuss at the pre op check up. :)

I have been watching one rabbit castration so far (I am doing a work placement at my vets) and it was one incision in the lower abdomen as well. A cat's castration is done very fast and without stitches, but the vet explained to me that the bits in a rabbit are deeper inbeded into the abdomen than they are in a tom cat. That's why a rabbit castration takes a little bit longer and is slightly more complicated.

Vera

I've had both types of ops done on my buns and would definately recommend the testicle route as Velvet managed to rip his stomach stiches open after three days just by leaping around! Although having said that, Crackers went in at the same time, had the same procedure and was absolutely fine :D

Lucky had the one incision above his plums and suffered terrible swelling on his sacs and several abcesses.

One occured on his left sac as you look at them and 'glued' itself to his inside leg :( was a nightmare to separate again

Back