• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dodgy belly from Metacam

Beaney

Mama Doe
My bun Austin has arthritis and my vet prescribed metacam. Initially it was to give it everyday - but 2 days in he got diarrhea. He's a white rabbit and it looked terrible so rushed straight to the vet.

Vet couldn't find anything wrong so suggested I stop the metacam. Next day - almost normal poops. Day after that - all back to normal. The vet has now suggested only to give metacam on bad arthritic days and has also given me some probotics (sp?) so if it gives him a bad stomach I can at least keep his good bacteria topped up!

I am in a bit of a cycle now because if I don't give him the metacam he is potentially getting some pain from his back and legs but if I do - yuck! But, he does seem happier being a 'bit stiff' rather than having the dodgy tum....

Has anyone else seen this sort of reaction to metacam?

Never had that reaction before, Pippa was on it for over a month and was fine but everybunny reacts differently! Would your vet be able to give him an injectable painkiller like Rimadyl or I wonder if there is an injectable version of Metacam? This may be better for him. Or perhaps look into natural remedies that help with arthritis?

Nicola

Would your vet be able to give him an injectable painkiller like Rimadyl or I wonder if there is an injectable version of Metacam?

Harly was gettin injectable metacam every 2nd day for myxi, but I now have oral solution so can give him every day, but it does exist Don't know if maybe would still give him an upset tummy tho? perhaps somethin else all 2gether is better. Id have a chat with ur vet.

Your Vet might also want to prescribe an anti gastric ulcer drug like Ranitidine (Zantac). NSAIDS can cause gastric irritation and the Zantac should prevent this.

Janex

My Harvey had a bad tum after having a long course of oral metacam.
Having checked Harvey after the treatment my vet said he could have an ulcer which may have been caused by the metacam so he was prescribed an antacid treatment as his tum was very gassy and this would help the ulcer to heal if he did have one.

Metacam can irritate a buns tum.

We try to avoid giving Harvey too much painkillers these days and if it is needed we usually go with the injectable form of metacam which is less likely to irritate the tum.

If he is doing ok without the metacam I would try and avoid it or perhaps get an injectable form for days when his arthritis is bad.I don't know much about herbal remedies but I wonder if anyone on here knows of any herbal alternatives.

Hugs to you and Austin,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Beaney said:
Has anyone else seen this sort of reaction to metacam?

didnt get this reaction but when the dog was resently on metacam the vet said if he had any diarrhea or vomitting to stop the metacam and take him back as it can cause stomach problems.

Back