• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Questions...

Gem

Wise Old Thumper
One for the experts ie Jane and possibly Janice @ ARC;

Do you know whether there's been any progress on a vaccine for Muccoid Enteritis :?:

Why is Molasses meant to be a good tonic and what is it meant to do :?:

Why should long stalks of Hay be chopped into smaller pieces :?: Is there any truth in the fact that its meant to get caught round legs and stuff :?:

Is there any truth in 'Barn Allergy' and has anyone bunny got it :?:

Why can't you feed Parsnips :?:

Can you feed Corn on the Cob, Sugar Beet and Sweet Potato :?:

Can you feed Plum (Fruit Tree) leaves and branches :?:

Can you feed Seaweed and would it have any nutritional benefits :?:

Is it true that rabbits kept within a large area and allowed free run to be natural, are more likely to revert to wild behaviour and become less tame :?:

Can you tell I've been studying the Rabbitlopedia :?:

Thanks guys!

I have gave Dougal and Mhairi parsnips but like carrots high in sugar so they only get it occasionaly.

Im guessing Molasses are good because they contain a lot of nutrients found in sugar canes, such as : calcium, iron, manganese, phosphorus, zinc. Im not sure what they do exactly in a rabbit though but they are good for humans.

I've given my buns corn on the cob (but sliced into smaller bits), i had no problems with it, but have read its not the greatest?

I dont cut hay, find they prefer the long stems, and it makes them work harder to eat it etc, but I have been told by a rabbit vet they shouldnt have it as bedding, which could be how they get caught up in it??

Are you not supposed to feed parsnips :? mine get them quite regularly, not that they like them all that much!

I dont think giving a rabbit more space would make it less friendly, giving it less time would. Mine are more friendly out of their cages than they are within them. I think it all comes down to how much love and attention they get. But if they are free range all the time make sure they are 100% safe!!!

Sorry don't know the answer to all of these!! I will answer those I do know.

Do you know whether there's been any progress on a vaccine for Muccoid Enteritis :?:
Muccoid enteritis is a term loosely used which covers a variety of similiar type problems. In South Africa they can vaccinate rabbits 8 weeks and older from clamydia which is one but not the only cause of this, I don't think this vaccine is availble in uk.

Why is Molasses meant to be a good tonic and what is it meant to do :?:
Molasses is used in rabbit food to aid bind many particles together in mixes. If molasses coated rabbit mix is exposed tot he damp it clumps and gets wet .... not something I personally like in a food for my rabbits. It is good in that it contains sulphur and trace minerals which are meant to aid coat conditioning and general well being.

Why should long stalks of Hay be chopped into smaller pieces :?: Is there any truth in the fact that its meant to get caught round legs and stuff :?:
Never had a problem with long hay, I can understand in elderly less mobile rabbits that it could be a problem but personally have never had any experience of rabbits getting entwined in their hay. I know that they can in the cord which comes around a bale of hay.

Is there any truth in 'Barn Allergy' and has anyone bunny got it :?:
Barn allergy in humans is a rhinitis / asthma more commonly associated with farm workers as a result of an allergy to pollen, dust or mould spores. I have no experience of this in rabbits.

Why can't you feed Parsnips :?:
Russell Rabbit has made a rabbit mix with Pasnip and Beetroot. Although I have heard many people say that pasnips should not be fed to rabbits.

Can you feed Corn on the Cob, Sugar Beet and Sweet Potato :?:
Sweet potato I believe is a definate one to avoid. Corn on the cob and also sugar beet are in many rabbit mixes so they are not something which cannot be fed to a rabbit, but too high in sugar so should not be given in tiny quantities if at all. Others say to avoid sugar beet in an unprocessed form.

Can you feed Plum (Fruit Tree) leaves and branches :?:
Definately not as they are poisonous

Can you feed Seaweed and would it have any nutritional benefits :?:
Seeweed is too salty in the form we can obtain it as, washing is not enough to remove the salt.

Is it true that rabbits kept within a large area and allowed free run to be natural, are more likely to revert to wild behaviour and become less tame :?:
I don't think there is any statistically proven evidence to suggest either way about this. I do knw that the more room you provide any living being the better ....

I am sure someone else will have some other views and ideas ...

Thanks Janice and Bunnyipboy!

Thats very interesting about Plum leaves, in one part of the Rabbitlopeadia it says you can feed all fruit trees and leaves but then later in the book it says don't feed them :roll:

Thank you!!

I find the area governing ability to feed sugar beet interesting, I assume unprocessed beet is not acceptable but processed beet is ok

Back