• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

medication

Dobbin

Mama Doe
Dobbin is on Panacur - i think thats right spelling.

Can anyone tell me if this has any side effects?

Also any suggestions for getting it into him - it took my partner and i 30 mins earlier!!!!!

Its so lovely to have my angel at home.

Sue
xx

Hi Sue!

As with all drugs there are bound to be potential side effects, personally I have used panacur on buns several times with no ill effects. Some people have felt that their buns have got lethargic or lost weight after use, but I guess it's difficult to tell whether that was due to their illness in the first place rather than the panacur - but it's still something to keep an eye out for. Ultimately I think if you're worried that Dobbin doesn't seem right and something might be a side effect, there's no harm in ringing your vet to ask.

Panacur is a cat/dog wormer which is also used for worming/killing e.cuniculi in rabbits, so presumably your vet has given it for you because she thought the worms you found in his droppings were from his guts.

Fingers crossed Dobbin stays fit and healthy after his recent poorly episodes xxx

Is it a 5 day course or a 28 day course?

5 days would be to treat intestinal parasites
28 days would be to treat Encephalitizoon Cuniculli (EC)

Best way to administer it is directly into his mouth via a 1ml syringe. Wrap Dobbin in a towel and hold him securely on your lap. Make sure the towel covers all of him except his nose/mouth. Insert the syringe so as the Panacur goes in horizontally across his tongue not vertically directly down his throat (to avoid accidental inhalation)

Glad he is now back home.

Janex

Thank you

He is on a 5 day course - 0.9 ml a day. I tried wrapping him up in a jumper but i dont think i had good enough hold of him!!

Sue
xx

I am too nervous to syringe. I am so lucky with my buns in that they love all food. I just pile a little heap of pellets and syringe the meds onto the pellets which they eat. Then I sprinkle the pro-biotic into the same bowl and wipe up with half a grape which they eat. The bowl is dry and all the meds go in.

Many people don't have a problem with syringing. My friend's bunny died from inhalation and she was a nurse, so I prefer the food method.

Great news that Dobbin only has worms and that the Panacur will sort him out.

Back