• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch Advice / Opinion

Hello all I hope you don't mind me bouncing ideas of you people!! I know you lot are caring and knowledgable about rabbits!

I am looking for 2 temporary hutches for my rabbits, for about 2 weeks? (they don't live together :? ).

I have plenty of time to plan for this as I won't need them until December.

They will be housed on a small patio area (no grass avaliable unfortunatly).

One part of the area measures : 6'5" x 6'2"

The other: 6'1" x 2'2"

I was thinking of a hutch and run combination for one rabbit on the large area - such as this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5ft-RABBIT-HU...hZ012QQcategoryZ63513QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem (what are peoples opinions of this - build quality / design and size?).

I was thinking of a 5', or slightly large double decker hutch for the other area. (I haven't yet found on of these - altough possible Thistle Hall from P@H).

Thank you for your opinions in advance... :D

I like that one on ebay - good price too! The hutches and runs you have in mind sound good to me! Your ones at home must be pretty big, how big are they? How is Willow doing btw?

Nicola

Looks good to me, a daft question ... does the main living area door open? Or is it access via the roof area?

jrn1310 said:
Looks good to me, a daft question ... does the main living area door open? Or is it access via the roof area?

Not a daft question at all, I've been worrying about that. I think I will ask the question of the seller. Would be awkward to only have access from the top esp when it's 4ft tall - diff to get both the bunnies and the mess out.

Thanks for comments.

Can you post the seller's answer, I need a hutch for summer and these look good, but obviously not if they're impossible to clean out!

If they're only for temporary use i think i'd not be too bothered about size if its only for 2 weeks :? And of course spending lots of money on them

nicolar said:
Your ones at home must be pretty big, how big are they? How is Willow doing btw?

Nicola

At home Barley has a 6' x 2' x 2' hutch on top of a 6' x 6' x 2' run.

Dolly has 5' x 2' x 2' hutch on top of a 5' x 6' x 2' run (just a bit smaller as the 6' wouldn't fit in the space).

I want a decent sized one for Barley as I know how cross he gets at being stut up in his hutch for too long (takes the wire netting of the door in his mouth and bangs it about!! :? ) Dolly is far more chilled and just says "thank you" and is grateful of anything you do - how I can assertain this from rabbit communication beats me... but there you go!!!

The hutches won't go to waste in the long run!

Willow_Warren said:
nicolar said:
Your ones at home must be pretty big, how big are they? How is Willow doing btw?

Nicola

At home Barley has a 6' x 2' x 2' hutch on top of a 6' x 6' x 2' run.

Dolly has 5' x 2' x 2' hutch on top of a 5' x 6' x 2' run (just a bit smaller as the 6' wouldn't fit in the space).

I want a decent sized one for Barley as I know how cross he gets at being stut up in his hutch for too long (takes the wire netting of the door in his mouth and bangs it about!! :? ) Dolly is far more chilled and just says "thank you" and is grateful of anything you do - how I can assertain this from rabbit communication beats me... but there you go!!!

The hutches won't go to waste in the long run!

Ahhhh more bunnies then :lol: :lol: :lol:

kayjay said:
Ahhhh more bunnies then :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've love to pair Dolly & Barley up with suitable partners (I can't find a "relolve" smilie!) I think Barley is too bolshy (and greedy) and likes things his own way - but I know Dolly was living with another bun at the rescue for a short while hum... I shouldn't get started... (not till I own my own house!!)

mandy said:
Do they not like each other then?

I did try and bond them shortly after I got them, but they fought worse each time they were together, perhaps I did something wrong (quite likely). Anyhow the last time they were together Barley bit Dolly and she had a nasty gash on her cheek (all healed nicely) and I didn’t want to risk putting them together again in case of a more serious injury. They are spayed or neutered (as appropriate). They live next to each other so get to see each other through the wire only, I know it’s not ideal and I do find it sad to see photos of other peoples rabbits together in a happy huddle, I really with I had 2 rabbits living happily together.

kayjay said:
Can you post the seller's answer, I need a hutch for summer and these look good, but obviously not if they're impossible to clean out!

Just got this responce from the seller:
hannah
only the sleeping area door opens and is secured with a wooden peg lock which turns around.you can easily get into the living area by removing the roof
regards nic

Hum... I'm not sure it would be easy to get into the living area by removing the roof!! Actually I think that it would be difficult! :? It's a shame as otherwise it would have been a good huch and run... I will have to continue my search!

Thanks every body you your opinions and assistance.

Hannah

Willow_Warren said:
mandy said:
Do they not like each other then?

I did try and bond them shortly after I got them, but they fought worse each time they were together, perhaps I did something wrong (quite likely). Anyhow the last time they were together Barley bit Dolly and she had a nasty gash on her cheek (all healed nicely) and I didn’t want to risk putting them together again in case of a more serious injury. They are spayed or neutered (as appropriate). They live next to each other so get to see each other through the wire only, I know it’s not ideal and I do find it sad to see photos of other peoples rabbits together in a happy huddle, I really with I had 2 rabbits living happily together.

Aw what a shame.....if you did want to try them together again, perhaps getting a new hutch is the time- neutral territory?

Or ask a rescue/someone nearby on the forum to do it for you?

Just a thought, im sure they are happy bunsters. I love the photo of Dolly :)

Congratulations on winning your bid :D Quite a few people have these hutches and are happy with them. A few weeks ago someone had one delivered damaged, so make sure you check it before you sign for it (they sent a replacement).

Thanks, yep I read about that (but thought for the price I would take the risk). My existing hutches are from HappyHutch, but that was then they delivered them assembled on a pallet! I think I'm going to have to find a friend to help me put it together! :lol:

Well I've just put the hutch part together, phew I'm exhausted, used a really cheap screw driver so my hands are really sore - it's quite hard work, I reccomend an electic one!

Anyhow i'm off to buy myself some lunch before I start on the run and the painting!!!

I hope the buns appreciate all my efforts :D

they have put a lot of thought into the construction of the hutch - it's made of quality wood rather than plywood which is less than impossible to make waterproof, whatever paint you use. So a slight design fault but more than compensated for in quality.

Back