• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help please: update its clearing up!

touie

Wise Old Thumper
what can i do about fudge, I have included a pic so that you can see how bad it's getting! The vet hasn't found anything and the surrounding skin looks fine so I'm thinking he's self harming but i can't understand why???
I have tried dermosol and Zn7 gel but he just licks them straight off probably making it worse :( As soon as Amy's fit I planned to put her outside and bring him in so I can keep a better eye on it. I have some Hexocil shampoo I could try but not sure whether that will help at all. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated :? I've got another vets appointment tomorrow but I doubt they'll come up with anything else :(
oct06026.jpg

woundcrop.jpg

no he lives by himself and it started in February after his brother died and has been coming and going ever since :?

It's an odd pattern, usually you'd expect a splodge or uneven marks with most bugs. It does look about the sort of arc a bun would get when grooming but it's still very neat!

Maybe your vet could get in touch with an expert?

yes thanks I think i'll suggest that tomorrow. I thought maybe he was getting stressed living by himself, but on the other hand he's been much calmer and less aggressive so i don't know :?

could he be stressed at being on his own, have you considered bonding him with another bun? it usually helps with self harming...

I have considered pairing him with another rabbit, but he was once paired with Amy for a month and he nearly killed her so i'm a bit scared now :shock:

Well the vet suggested treating him with xeno 450 which is an Ivomec solution, there were a few flaky patches on his skin so it could be a parasite problem, worth a try i guess !

I guess it could be something making him itchy and that's just the bit he's scratching at as it's reachable. Has the vet done any skin scraps to look under the microscope for bugs?

Tam

thats the next course of action to test for something fungal if this lotion doesn't work!

Back