• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Silly question but im interested to know the answer..

bilbo

Alpha Buck
Hey all
Can you give bunnys HorseHage?
Its silly really because its 'horse'hage. :roll:
But i really want to know the answer :lol:

Emma x

haylage!!

It's hay that hasn't dried out properly. Too rich for buns i think. Goes off within a week - & horses can't be fed as much of it as they are hay cos of the richness.

bilbo said:
haha :oops: :oops:
ooops,i mean Haylage..
So you deffo cant feed it?even as a treat?

Horsehage is just a type of haylage I think.

I'm not sure - I've never fed it my buns. A big bale (wrapped in a bag), cost 3 times what my hay costs & goes mouldy after a week.
I once read that horses digestive systems were similar to buns - (don't suddenly change food, don't feed grass cuttings etc etc,) but i would think it would go off really fast unless you had 700 buns!!

I would say not, as it is much richer than hay, although it does have the advantage of a much lower dust content.

Jx

Also it is slightly fermented...

As a horsey person (and yes there are a lot of similarities between horses and buns) my instinct would be not to feed it to my buns...

It's generally fed to horses with either chest problems or who need the extra nutrients, as it is very rich. If I fed it to my shetland pony he'd explode :lol:

Even if it was safe, you'd end up with very fat bunnies in no time at all!

Back