• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what have i started?

cheekytikki

Wise Old Thumper
well i took the plunge last night and tried introducing cody to the buns, i made sure he wore a muzzle even though i trusted him 99% not to do anything i think it is always better to be safe than sorry. i gave the buns their veges and opened up the pen door so the dog could get in, he hopped down onto the floor (he was on my bed) and stuck his head straight into the litter tray :roll: , duchess then came over (i think she thought he was some new kind of vegetable) and sniffed at him and he just looked at her, he then tried to nick their veges :lol: and when he realised he couldnt he layed down (i kept treating him and telling him what a good boy he was) teegra already knows cody well through the bars so came over to greet his old friend, duchess then realsied cody was lying on a perfect bit of celery so came over to grab it he stood up and she settled down underneath him to eat. he then realised OMG that is a giant dog crate full of fleecy blankies so in he got :roll: :lol: (he had to squish under the shelf a bit) then buns just looked at him as though it was the most natural thing in the world to have this giant 'bunny' in their cage. when he was getting out of the cage he made quite a noise and both buns bolted (which in a way i was glad of as i didnt want to assume he was ok and the first time they run away for him to chase) but he was fine and just continued to negotiate getting out from under the shelf. This morning i left the pen open when i made the bunnies food (i didnt have cody muzzled this time) and all three came to my feet and started asking for their breakfast :lol: i then tried to get cody out of my room so we could go downstairs but nope he didnt want to go he wanted to stay with his bestest mates, i made him get out of my room and now he is sulking :lol: :lol: Silly woggie!
all in all i think it went very well and i will definately keep introducing them.
How mcuh would you trust your dogs with your buns?
eventually i would like to remove the pen and just have an open crate but would it be ok with cody in the room with the buns on the loose overnight??

will take some piccies soon of them all together

I'd never leave them unsupervised together. He might not mean to hurt them but the size difference means an excited/clumsy move could accidentally.

well done im glad theyre getting on!
I must admit, i sometimes leave my dog and buns in the garden together with out 100% supervision but i actually feel safer when my dog is out there, especially towards the evening because shed go nuts if a squirrel or fox or cat even came near the fence but she always has her toys to play with and the rabbits are very used to her, and believe me they are quicker too. It gives me chance to do the dishes while they play.

I wouldnt want to leave her overnight or for long periods though, not because of aggression but incase the dog tried to play with the rabbits and something went wrong.

I have left my dog and rabbit in the garden without 100% supervision - in that I'm watching from a window rather than being out there with them. It took me several years to get to this point though - when they first met, they were watched carefully.

Not just for the rabbit's benefit I have to say - my bridge guinea pig, Meeka, took out my dog when he was a puppy!

I have never introduced my dog to my bunnies.
I do have a St Bernard though and she is large,giddy and clumsy :lol:
If i did have a smaller dog though i would never leave them together unsupervised.

ok i will be keeping the pen then i would never leave them alone overnight as they would all be in my room an i figured i would have heard any noises but i didnt think about cody squishing them. i would love to have the bunnies out overnight but i could never stop my cody sleeping in my room (he is my little hot water bottle :lol: ) they will just have to have the 12 + hours a day they get now although they usually stay in their cage playing, sleeping and eating rather than free ranging :roll:

thanks everyone will get piccies as soons as possible

Its not that my dogs would intentionally hurt the rabbits but sometimes if they chase their ball for example, they would not notice if the rabbit was in the way. Or if they jump off a chair they would not think whether the rabbit is underneath them. So its incidences like that where you need to keep an eye or the bun could get injured. Pam

I do leave my dog and bunny in a room together for short periods unsupervised when I am going about my daily chores. They spend a lot of time together, but I still don't leave them alone together if I"m going out or overnight. The dog is in the hall and George stays in the conservatory.
I'm pretty certain that I could trust them together as there has never been any aggression, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, and also as others have said to avoid any accidental injuries.

Back