• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits & Mice

We have some mice living in our compost bin. This morning I let Frida out in the garden. She shot to the top of the garden and started sniffing at something.

This something turned out to be one of the mice (killed by a cat by the looks of things). I nudged Frida away from the mice. Could she catch anything from wild mice though? She is fully vaccinated.

Be interested to here a response on this too, were some in my compost bin but thought they had left as hadn't seen them for a while....but then saw one sunday and yesterday near the rabbit run

i think i read somwhere that ingesting food contaminated by rodents could damage the liver/kidneys.
hang on. wil try and find the artical.
recomend that all effort is taken to disuade mice from the hutch and surrounding area. (obviously posion is a no-no)

I'm not too worried then to be honest as all the bunnies are housebunnies. The compost bin is at the other end of the garden from the house and the mice seem quite happy staying up there.

I'll just fence off round the compost bin so she can't get near it. There are lots of cats round here so I'm sure they will cull the mice for me.

Failing that though - how do I get shut of them without poison? I need the compost bin as my house bin is only collected fortnightly and with 4 bunnies and 2 piggies I soon fill it with litter! I think they are probably nesting in there - it is warm and filled with hay & veg so they probably think they are in paradise! I must admit though I dread opening the compost bin one day to find it swarming with mice!

sarahbarnsley said:
I'm not too worried then to be honest as all the bunnies are housebunnies. The compost bin is at the other end of the garden from the house and the mice seem quite happy staying up there.

I'll just fence off round the compost bin so she can't get near it. There are lots of cats round here so I'm sure they will cull the mice for me.

Failing that though - how do I get shut of them without poison? I need the compost bin as my house bin is only collected fortnightly and with 4 bunnies and 2 piggies I soon fill it with litter! I think they are probably nesting in there - it is warm and filled with hay & veg so they probably think they are in paradise! I must admit though I dread opening the compost bin one day to find it swarming with mice!

We were overrun last autumn with mice in the house (I haven't seen any yet but I've got a feeling they'll be back), and I'm afraid the only way we could get rid of them was by killing them :( We tried humane traps but they didn't go into them, so we resorted to the snap traps and were catching up to three a night for weeks. However if they are outside I wouldn't worry too much, I believe anything outside is fine, it's only when they come into my house I get murderous! I don't think you'll be able to get rid of them other than killing them and then you'll probably find more will arrive if the compost bin is a nice warm place for them. Maybe get your own cat? The only houses on our street without a mice problem are those with a cat.

I'm moving in january and my cousin is renting this house from us! I'll leave the compost bin and its occupants to her as they have a cat (once he comes out of quarantine - just come over from france). I'm sure Snoopy will sort it out.

Cats set off my asthma so i cant get one but i have seen a few in the garden since the houses behind us were completed (and they've killed at least one mouse) so I hope they'll do the rest for me!

I recently had one living in my kitchen :shock:

I bought a proper old fashioned mouse trap but never could bring myself to use it even though I was aware of how unhygenic it was to have a mouse in the kitchen!

I've got 2 cats and thought they would catch it, but they never did. One morning I heard a noise in the rubbish bin and the mouse had got in there. I took the bin outside and let it go at the top of the garden!

Kate x

Back