• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My new foster bunny! and any advice on pregnant buns?

nicolar

Mama Doe
My new foster bunny came home with me this evening, she is lovely! She is about 8-9 months old and the vet thinks she is about 3 weeks pregnant - though not 100% but pretty likely as she came in having lived with an entire male! I'm gonna have her here with me while she has her babies.

Any hints or tips on pregnant rabbits and litters of babies!?

Nicola

Do a search on it there are plenty of posts about pregnancy.Where did you foster her from?? as i am surprised they let you have a pregnant bunny if you have no experience???let her eat as much as she wants,she may pull hair the night before or the hour before birth every bunny is different.you must not disturb the nest as she may attack them.if you need to check for dead bodies then rub your hands in her letter first.Make sure her cage is in a quiet place too.

Don't worry I work for a rescue so there is no problem regarding experience etc. Just wanted to gleam lots of info, cos everybody on here always has different experiences. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks :D Am hoping it all goes OK but before she came into us she had a litter and the lady found them dead in the hutch. But the buck was still in the hutch with her (pestering her constantly apparently!) so I'm presuming that would have had an effect! Am hoping that in a nice quiet, settled environment it will all be OK but I guess I can only do my best and I am prepared if things go wrong.

Nicola

when we had a litter (5 years ago now) the doe left them scattered on the floor, she didnt make a nest either,we scooped the up and made a nest for her ,put them in and she did start to feed them.we ended up hand rearing one which we got to 3 weeks and then it died.

Aww Id say just having a nice warm quet space this time will make a world of difference for her.
She may have been too young and inexperienced last time ontop of having dad there too so fingers crossed for this time around.

Cant give much advice because Evie did it all on her own and we didnt have to make any changes for her.
The only thing i did do was to make sure mum had lots of dark greens which apparently help milk production.

Looking forward to hearing what happens and hoping things go well for you!

Thanks :) I think last time around was quite stressful for her by the sounds of it! I have the hutch in the garage so it's nice and quiet and she has lots of nice soft hay to make a nest in. Will get some more greens in stock for her :)

Will keep you updated as to what happens, if she is pregnant I think they should be due in the next week to 10 days (can't be exactly sure as the lady didn't know when she had had the previous litter and therefore when they may have mated!)

Nicola

Back